Hungarian goulash is a richly spiced meat stew. The caraway seeds and paprika create an irresistible flavor. Our bison stew meat becomes so tender and delicious when slow cooked, it’s one of my absolute favorites. I love this goulash because it’s a great way to mix it up a little from your typical stew. It’s warming but not too spicy, satisfying and the leftovers taste even better. It will also make your entire house smell amazing while it’s cooking.
This dish has been around for centuries in Hungary. It originated with herdsman cooking meals for themselves in cauldrons on the plains. It became very popular in America in the early 1900’s thanks to Hungarian immigrants who shared recipes from their homeland. Goulash is the national dish of Hungary and is well known for its incorporation of paprika. This mild and slightly sweet chili powder is what gives goulash its hint of heat. Serve this tasty and nourishing stew with some crusty bread on the side to soak up all the goodness.
If You Like Beef, You’re Going To Love Bison
If you’ve never eaten bison before, you’re probably curious what it tastes like. The simple answer is that if you like the flavor of beef, you’re going to absolutely love bison. It’s very similar, but with a slightly sweeter taste. It’s naturally leaner and more tender. It has no “gamey” flavor whatsoever. Many customers tell us that once they try bison, they’re amazed at how delicious and versatile it is - any recipe that you’d typically use beef for, bison meat will taste great in.
We’re Passionate About Raising American Bison
Our bison live free range on 20,000 beautiful acres here in New Mexico, or roam freely on our carefully selected partner ranches. They are pasture raised and never administered any amount of hormones, steroids or antibiotics. These are powerful, strong animals that live essentially wild with minimal handling. There were once 60 million bison roaming North America, and we hope to see their numbers increase back to even 1 million during our lifetime. By increasing the demand for ethically sourced bison meat, we can help to bolster their population. The more people that want to purchase this nourishing and nutrient dense meat, the more farmers will be encouraged to raise bison. This directly helps to increase the number of herds which assists in providing genetic diversity for the population.
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 teaspoons bison tallow
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 ½ pounds bison stew meat cubes
- 2 cups bison bone broth
- 1 can tomato paste
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 4-6 small potatoes, chopped
- Chopped parsley and sour cream for garnish
- Heat the bison tallow in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add in the sliced onion and cook until tender and fragrant. Add the caraway seeds and paprika. Stir to combine.
- Put the flour in a shallow dish and lightly coat the stew meat cubes, shaking off the excess. Add the meat to the dutch oven and sear on all sides, cooking with the onions.
- Add the bison bone broth to the pot. Use a wooden spoon to scrape up flavorful browned bits from the bottom. Add the tomato paste, carrots and potatoes. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Stir to combine.
- Bring the pot to a boil, then reduce and simmer for approximately 2 hours. The stew meat should be super tender, if it’s not then simply cook longer.
- Serve and enjoy! Top with sour cream and chopped parsley as desired.
Don’t Hesitate To Reach Out To Our Team
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar, pork and seafood.