There’s nothing better than having a bunch of delicious, slow-cooked shredded meat ready for the week to turn into tacos, sandwiches, and anything else you can think of. It’s a great way to meal prep. I’m not enough of a planner to meal prep something specific for every day of the week, but having some prepared meat like this helps me throw things together without much preparation a lot more easily on nights when I’m short on time. Cooking a whole roast and shredding it for later use can create multiple tasty and nourishing meals for the whole family throughout the week. All it takes is a high quality chuck roast - I love our bison roasts - and a slow cooker or Instant Pot. If you don’t have one of those, not to worry - you could totally slow cook this in the oven instead.
A Weeknight Dinner Game Changer
The secret is to slow cook the roast to tender, falling apart perfection. That, and a delicious marinade. I just used a simple one - coconut sugar, Worcestershire sauce, apple cider vinegar, and smashed garlic. And bone broth if you have it on hand. It’s the perfect combination of sweet, savory, acidic and garlicky to create shredded bison meat that nobody can get enough of. It’s also a really versatile marinade for meat that will go well with a lot of different recipes. Use it for tacos, on top of rice, in a quinoa bowl with veggies, over noodles… the options are endless. It makes it so quick and effortless to throw a meal together, you might wonder how you ever survived without cooking a roast for the week. The meat just gets more tender and flavorful over time, and you’ll have no problem using it all up before the week is over. I think I could easily go through one of these roasts in a week all by myself.
Bringing Back The American Bison
Our bison live free range on 10,000 beautiful acres here in New Mexico, or roam freely on our carefully selected partner ranches. They are pasture raised and never administered any amount of hormones, steroids or antibiotics. These are powerful, strong animals that live essentially wild with minimal handling. There were once 60 million bison roaming North America, and we hope to see their numbers increase back to even 1 million during our lifetime. By increasing the demand for ethically sourced bison meat, we can help to bolster their population. The more people that want to purchase this nourishing and nutrient dense meat, the more farmers will be encouraged to raise bison. This directly helps to increase the number of herds which assists in providing genetic diversity for the population.
- One 4-5 lb bison chuck roast
- 1 cup bison bone broth
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 cloves of garlic, smashed and peeled
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Make sure the roast is all the way thawed before cooking. Generously season all over with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place in the Instant Pot or slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, mix together the bison bone broth, apple cider vinegar, coconut sugar, Worcestershire sauce and smashed garlic. Stir to combine, then pour the mixture over the meat in the pot.
- If using a slow cooker, let the roast cook on low for 8 hours. If using an Instant Pot, use the high pressure setting for 2 hours.
- When the meat has finished cooking, it should be so tender that it’s easy to shred using two forks. Shred the meat and mix with the sauce. Enjoy immediately and store the delicious leftovers to use throughout the week!
The Beck & Bulow Team Is Here To Help
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar, pork and seafood.