Gnocchi is one of my favorite meals ever. There’s something so satisfying about the tender, slightly sticky texture of this unique potato pasta. It’s light, fluffy and excellent for soaking up delicious sauce. Dried, store bought gnocchi is easy to find and quick to prepare. I often have a hard time choosing between tomato sauce or pesto sauce, so I’m fond of just stirring some pesto into my tomato sauce and having the best of both worlds. If you’re not into that or don’t have pesto on hand, just leave it out – our ground bison meat in herbed tomato sauce is so tasty regardless. A bit of heavy cream and parmesan cheese give just the right amount of creamy richness, and bison bone broth adds a layer of nourishing, savory flavor.
Delicious, Tender Ground Bison Meat
Bison has a slightly sweeter, deeper flavor than beef. Many customers tell us how surprised they are after trying it for the first time – a lot of people expect it to have a gamey flavor. The fact is, it tastes very similar to beef. It’s my go-to ingredient for just about anything. Our pasture raised beef, elk, wild boar or lamb would also be delicious choices. Serve this delicious gnocchi with some crusty garlic bread on the side for soaking up extra sauce, or a fresh side salad. Dessert and a glass of wine could really make this a dinner to remember. In fact, this would be a great recipe for Valentine’s Day.
Free Range Bison That Roam Our Beautiful Ranch
Our bison live free range on 10,000 beautiful acres here in New Mexico, or roam freely on our carefully selected partner ranches. They are pasture raised and never administered any amount of hormones, steroids or antibiotics. These are powerful, strong animals that live essentially wild with minimal handling. There were once 60 million bison roaming North America, and we hope to see their numbers increase back to even 1 million during our lifetime. By increasing the demand for ethically sourced bison meat, we can help to bolster their population. The more people that want to purchase this nourishing and nutrient dense meat, the more farmers will be encouraged to raise bison. This directly helps to increase the number of herds which assists in providing genetic diversity for the population.
- 1 pound ground bison
- Bison tallow for cooking
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can diced San Marzano tomatoes
- ⅓ cup bison bone broth
- ¾ cup cream
- 1 pound gnocchi (store bought)
- Parmesan cheese
- Pesto or chopped fresh basil for garnish
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Heat a teaspoon of bison tallow in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add in the chopped onions and cook just until they begin to soften. Increase the heat to medium-high and add in the ground bison. Cook just until browned, adding more tallow if necessary.
- Add the minced garlic, rosemary, thyme and dried basil to the skillet. Stir to combine. Then add in the can of diced tomatoes along with all the liquid from the can, bison bone broth and heavy cream. Add in the (uncooked) gnocchi and stir.
- Cook for a couple minutes uncovered, then put a lid on the skillet and turn the heat down to medium. Simmer for 5 minutes or so, then remove the lid to let the sauce thicken.
- Cook for approximately 5 more minutes, or until the gnocchi is tender.
- Remove from the heat and add in Parmesan cheese, pesto and/or chopped fresh basil (I love basil and can’t get enough of it). Serve and enjoy!
Our Team Is Here To Help!
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar, pork and seafood.