Stew is an old fashioned staple for good reason. There’s nothing quite like a bowl of warming, soothing and nourishing goodness, full of flavor and made with love. It’s easy to make, economical, and very satisfying. It may very well be the simplest option to feed a crowd, and a large pot of stew can provide meals for several days. My favorite way to switch it up with stew is by adding in some flavorful mushrooms. My favorites are shiitake, cremini and button mushrooms but you can use whatever you have on hand. Plenty of herbs and nourishing bison bone broth make this stew super flavorful.
There’s Nothing Like A Good Winter Stew
If you like, you can sear the stew meat first to add even more flavor but it’s not necessary. Stews are extremely versatile and customizing to your preferences is encouraged. I’m fond of adding a splash of apple cider vinegar or balsamic vinegar. I also love adding some spice - red pepper flakes to taste or if you have access to it, New Mexico green chile powder. Finely chopped, roasted green or red chiles would also be delicious. Another thing that always takes stew to the next level is good, crusty bread. Homemade or fresh from a local bakery is always a surefire way to make a stew a complete meal. Toasted and crusty bread is the best for soaking up a hearty stew. Our bison stew meat comes already cut into cubes, making this stew even easier to whip up in no time. If desired, a chopped onion could be a delicious addition.
Good For The Earth, Good For The Bison And Great For You
Our bison live free range on 20,000 beautiful acres here in New Mexico, or roam freely on our carefully selected partner ranches. They are pasture raised and never administered any amount of hormones, steroids or antibiotics. These are powerful, strong animals that live essentially wild with minimal handling. There were once 60 million bison roaming North America, and we hope to see their numbers increase back to even 1 million during our lifetime. By increasing the demand for ethically sourced bison meat, we can help to bolster their population. The more people that want to purchase this nourishing and nutrient dense meat, the more farmers will be encouraged to raise bison. This directly helps to increase the number of herds which assists in providing genetic diversity for the population.
- 2 pounds bison stew meat
- ¼ cup flour
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ¾ cup bison bone broth
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- ¼ cup dry red wine
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 pound potatoes, cut into large chunks
- ½ pound shiitake, crimini and button mushrooms, sliced in quarters
- 1 cup roughly chopped parsnips
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Add the flour, thyme and rosemary to a bowl. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and whisk to combine thoroughly. Add the stew meat cubes into the bowl and toss to coat thoroughly. Add the whole mixture into an Instant Pot (doesn’t need to be turned on yet).
- In a small bowl, stir together the bone broth, red wine, tomato paste and minced garlic. Pour over the meat in the Instant Pot. Add in the chopped vegetables and combine.
- Cover and turn on the slow cook function of the Instant Pot for approximately 6 hours (or use the high pressure cook setting for about 25 minutes). Cook until the meat is tender.
- Serve garnished with freshly chopped parsley and thick crusty bread.
The Beck & Bulow Team Is Here To Support You
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar, pork and seafood.