Bison burgers are definitely my favorite type of burger, hands down. A bison burger cooked to medium rare is my version of perfection. We always recommend cooking bison less than you would beef. Because of the lower fat content, it cooks more quickly. It truly tastes best when cooked less. We always recommend cooking bison to medium rare or medium at the most for best flavor and texture. The meat is naturally tender, juicy and flavorful. What could make a typical bison burger even better? Enter the Juicy Lucy. This burger is an American classic and involves stuffing the patty full of melty, delicious cheese. The cheese becomes perfectly melted as it gets nice and hot cooking in the middle of the burger. It also has the effect of keeping the meat even more juicy and tender.
A Famous Style Of Burger From Minnesota
The Juicy Lucy originated in Minneapolis, Minnesota, sometime around the 1950’s or possibly earlier. It’s said that the name comes from a customer who, upon biting into one, exclaimed “Wow, now that’s a juicy lucy!” There’s a fierce competition between two bars who both claim to have invented the cheese-stuffed burger. One bar only offers it with American cheese, while the other provides a few different options to choose from. I decided to use provolone cheese - just make sure that whichever cheese you use is one that gets nice and melty. After all, that’s the whole point. Make sure to use high quality buns - my favorite are brioche - and pile high with all of your favorite toppings and condiments. Perfect for a casual lunch or dinner, serve these burgers with chips, salad, pickles, or any of your other favorite sides.
Bringing The Bison Population Back To America
Our bison live free range on 10,000 beautiful acres here in New Mexico, or roam freely on our carefully selected partner ranches. They are pasture raised and never administered any amount of hormones, steroids or antibiotics. These are powerful, strong animals that live essentially wild with minimal handling. There were once 60 million bison roaming North America, and we hope to see their numbers increase back to even 1 million during our lifetime. By increasing the demand for ethically sourced bison meat, we can help to bolster their population. The more people that want to purchase this nourishing and nutrient dense meat, the more farmers will be encouraged to raise bison. This directly helps to increase the number of herds which assists in providing genetic diversity for the population.
- 2 lbs ground bison
- 2 tablespoons bison tallow + more as needed
- 12 slices provolone cheese
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 6 brioche buns
- Your favorite toppings and condiments
- Make sure the ground bison is thawed completely. Let it sit out at room temperature for approximately 15 minutes before cooking.
- Split the ground bison into six equal parts. Divide each section into two patties. Make them thin, with one slightly smaller than the other.
- Fold up the slices of provolone. Place 2 slices on top of each larger patty. Cover the cheese completely with the smaller patties and press the edges firmly together to seal.
- Heat the bison tallow in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the burgers for about 4 minutes on each side, or to your preferred doneness. We always recommend cooking bison less rather than more. The cheese should be melted all the way through.
- Let the burgers rest for at least five minutes before serving. Take caution - the cheese gets really hot! Assemble on brioche buns, piled high with desired toppings and condiments. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Our Team Is Here To Answer Your Questions
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar, pork and seafood.