I love the flavors of Middle Eastern food, and Za’atar seasoning makes it easy to give any cut of meat a richly spiced, seared crust that tastes amazing. Za’atar spice is the perfect balance of flavors, combining herbs like oregano and thyme with tangy sumac and rich, nutty sesame seeds. If you’ve never tried cooking with it before, don’t be surprised if you find yourself wanting to put it on everything. It’s fairly easy to find in stores, but making your own is simple to do (and often tastier). There’s lots of great recipes available online to choose from for making Za’atar. I’d suggest making a big batch - these flavors are addictive!
Bison top sirloin steak is the perfect choice for this quick and easy recipe. Just steam some rice beforehand, and if you want, sauté some vegetables to go on top. The tahini sauce is so delicious, you’ll want to put it on absolutely everything. Chopping the steak into bite-sized pieces makes them cook very quickly, and we always recommend cooking bison less than you would beef. A couple minutes is all it will take to have these mouth watering pieces of sirloin steak cooked to perfection.
If You Like Beef, You’re Going To Love Bison
If you’ve never eaten bison before, you’re probably curious what it tastes like. The simple answer is that if you like the flavor of beef, you’re going to absolutely love bison. It’s very similar, but with a slightly sweeter taste. It’s naturally leaner and more tender. It has no “gamey” flavor whatsoever. Many customers tell us that once they try bison, they’re amazed at how delicious and versatile it is - any recipe that you’d typically use beef for, bison meat will taste great in.
Free Range Bison, Raised The Way Nature Intended
Our bison live free range on over 5,000 beautiful acres here in New Mexico, or roam freely on our carefully selected partner ranches. The ranch has a stunning landscape including natural springs, caves and lots of trees on its rolling hills. When we introduced these bison to the land our ranch is on, they were the first buffalo to roam there in over 100 years. These are powerful, strong animals that live essentially wild with minimal handling.
There were once 60 million bison roaming North America, and we hope to see their numbers increase back to even 1 million during our lifetime. By increasing the demand for ethically sourced bison meat, we can help to bolster their population. The more people that want to purchase this nourishing and nutrient dense meat, the more farmers will be encouraged to raise bison. This directly helps to increase the number of herds which assists in providing genetic diversity for the population.
- 1 pound bison top sirloin steak
- 1 teaspoon bison tallow
- 2 tablespoons Za’atar seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt + more to taste
- Pinch smoked paprika
- ⅓ cup tahini
- hot/warm water as needed
- Juice of ½ small lemon
- 1 large garlic clove
- Let the sirloin steak sit out at room temperature for approximately 15 minutes before cooking. Chop the steak into chunks.
- Melt the teaspoon of bison tallow and let it cool slightly. In a large mixing bowl, combine the pieces of sirloin steak with the tallow. Add in the sea salt and Za’atar seasoning. Combine thoroughly.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium high heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the meat in. Cook for approximately 2-3 minutes, taking care not to overcook. Set the cooked meat aside and cover to keep warm.
- Combine the tahini, lemon juice, garlic, sea salt, and about ¼ cup of warm water in a blender. Blend until smooth. Add more water if necessary to reach desired consistency.
- Serve the Za’atar bison sirloin steak over freshly steamed rice, if desired. Spoon the tahini dressing generously over top and enjoy!
The Beck & Bulow Team Is Here To Help
We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar, pork and seafood.