If you’re a fan of using your Instant Pot, you’re going to absolutely love this recipe. And if you don’t have an Instant Pot, no worries. You can totally make this using a crock pot or in the oven. It’ll just take more time - low and slow is the way to go, and the pressure cooker function on the Instant Pot is great for speeding things up while still yielding the same super tender results. These tacos are really easy to make and everyone absolutely loves them.
A Delicious Combination Of Flavors
Shredded short rib meat is incredibly versatile and can be used in countless different recipes. For these tacos the short ribs are cooked in an incredibly flavorful sauce consisting of ancho chiles, pomegranate juice, garlic, apple cider vinegar, onion and a touch of coconut sugar with nourishing bison bone broth. I love experimenting with short rib recipes because the options are truly limitless. This would also be great with elk short ribs. If you don’t have pomegranate juice, leaving it out is no big deal, but I love the touch of sweet and tart flavor it adds to these tacos.
We’re Passionate About Raising American Bison
Our bison live free range on 20,000 beautiful acres here in New Mexico, or roam freely on our carefully selected partner ranches. They are pasture raised and never administered any amount of hormones, steroids or antibiotics. These are powerful, strong animals that live essentially wild with minimal handling. There were once 60 million bison roaming North America, and we hope to see their numbers increase back to even 1 million during our lifetime. By increasing the demand for ethically sourced bison meat, we can help to bolster their population. The more people that want to purchase this nourishing and nutrient dense meat, the more farmers will be encouraged to raise bison. This directly helps to increase the number of herds which assists in providing genetic diversity for the population.
- Approximately 6 lbs bison short ribs
- 4 dried ancho chiles, stemmed and seeded (soak in bone broth)
- 1 large onion, chopped into quarters
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups bison bone broth
- ¼ cup pomegranate juice
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon bison tallow
- Corn tortillas for serving
- Salsa, sour cream, avocado, lime wedges, pomegranate seeds and chopped cilantro for serving
- Boil the bone broth and soak the dried chiles for 10-15 minutes. Remove the chiles with a slotted spoon and set the bone broth to cool slightly.
- Using a blender, purée the soaked chiles, onion, minced garlic, coconut sugar, apple cider vinegar, bison bone broth, pomegranate juice and about a teaspoon each of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
- Gently pat the short ribs dry with paper towels. Season generously on all sides with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat the bison tallow in a large cast iron skillet until shimmering. Sear the short ribs, working in batches as necessary to create a flavorful brown crust on all sides. Set the seared ribs aside.
- Add the ribs to your Instant Pot and pour in the prepared sauce. The ribs should be about halfway submerged (add more bone broth if necessary).
- Cook for 2 ½ hours on the high pressure setting. The ribs should be fork tender. If they’re not, continue to cook at 30 minute intervals until they reach desired doneness.
- When the ribs have finished cooking, let them cool enough to handle. Remove ribs from the pot and shred the meat off of the bones, putting the shredded meat back into the cooking sauce. Stir to combine. Season with more sea salt and freshly ground black pepper if desired.
- Warm the tortillas and serve with plenty of toppings. Enjoy!
The Beck & Bulow Team Is Here To Help
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar, pork and seafood.