Massaman curry is a rich and mild curry, offering tons of warming flavor without too much heat. It comes from a combination of Indian and Thai influences, so it’s the best of both worlds. All of the rich spices of an Indian curry and all of the fresh and bright flavors of a Thai curry come together to make this delicious meal. Mouthwatering bison top sirloin steak is the perfect protein to complement the exotic spices, fresh lime juice and smooth coconut cream. Makes a tasty meal all on its own, or my favorite way – spooned generously over fragrant jasmine rice.
If You Like Beef, You’re Going To Love Bison
If you’ve never eaten bison before, you’re probably curious what it tastes like. The simple answer is that if you like the flavor of beef, you’re going to absolutely love bison. It’s very similar, but with a slightly sweeter taste. It’s naturally leaner and more tender. It has no “gamey” flavor whatsoever.
The key to preparing delicious bison is not to overcook it. It always needs to be cooked less than you would typically cook the same cut of beef. When cooked too much, bison will become tough – we always recommend cooking to medium rare for the ultimate flavor and texture. From premium steaks to fajita meat to burgers, any dish you’re used to cooking with beef will be amazing when prepared with bison.
Free Range Bison That Roam Our Beautiful Ranch
Our bison live free range on 10,000 beautiful acres here in New Mexico, or roam freely on our carefully selected partner ranches. They are pasture raised and never administered any amount of hormones, steroids or antibiotics. These are powerful, strong animals that live essentially wild with minimal handling. There were once 60 million bison roaming North America, and we hope to see their numbers increase back to even 1 million during our lifetime. By increasing the demand for ethically sourced bison meat, we can help to bolster their population. The more people that want to purchase this nourishing and nutrient dense meat, the more farmers will be encouraged to raise bison. This directly helps to increase the number of herds which assists in providing genetic diversity for the population.
- ½ lb bison top sirloin steak, chopped into cubes
- Bison tallow for cooking
- 1 small onion, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 6 tablespoons massaman curry paste (or red curry paste)
- 1 ½ cups diced sweet potato
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk
- 1 ½ cups water
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoons roasted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Freshly steamed jasmine rice for serving
- Melt ½ tablespoon bison tallow in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Add the cubes of bison steak to the hot skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is browned all over. Set aside.
- Add more tallow to the pan if necessary, reduce the heat to medium and brown the onion. Add in the curry paste. Cook for a couple more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the diced sweet potatoes and carrots to the pot. Let them cook for a minute or two, stirring occasionally, and then add in the cans of coconut milk, one cup of water, all of the ground spices, coconut aminos, coconut sugar and chopped roasted peanuts. Add more water as necessary to submerge everything. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for approximately 10 minutes. In the last couple minutes, add the seared bison steak back in, along with the lime juice. Stir to combine. Cook for a few more minutes, then remove from the heat. Let the curry rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Serve over freshly steamed jasmine rice, garnished with chopped fresh cilantro. Enjoy!
Don’t Hesitate To Reach Out To Our Team
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar, pork and seafood.