I absolutely love short ribs, and I know I’m not alone in this. This cut of meat is among the most popular because of its versatility, delicious flavor and incredibly tender texture when cooked low and slow. Short ribs are a popular choice for smoking - and I’m also fond of cooking them in an Instant Pot - but a lesser known method is to slowly braise them in the oven. This recipe is especially nice for the colder months, as the oven makes more sense than the smoker when it’s snowing outside, and the red wine gives a rich flavor that is perfect for winter.
Bison Short Ribs Are Versatile & Delicious
Short ribs have satisfying and meaty flavor that is partially thanks to the bone being intact. Because of the location of this cut on the animal, they have a marbled fat content like a ribeye steak with the rich taste of a chuck roast. What could be better? These ribs are the perfect main course to serve alongside mashed potatoes or macaroni and cheese. This recipe makes a large amount, but you can easily cook a half portion if you desire. Just partially thaw the short ribs enough to remove half to cook, seal the remaining half and refreeze. That being said, leftover short ribs are incredibly delicious and reheat beautifully in the oven. They’re also really versatile and can be used in tacos, sandwiches, on top of macaroni and cheese, and so much more.
Bringing Back The American Bison
Our bison live free range on 10,000 beautiful acres here in New Mexico, or roam freely on our carefully selected partner ranches. They are pasture raised and never administered any amount of hormones, steroids or antibiotics. These are powerful, strong animals that live essentially wild with minimal handling. There were once 60 million bison roaming North America, and we hope to see their numbers increase back to even 1 million during our lifetime. By increasing the demand for ethically sourced bison meat, we can help to bolster their population. The more people that want to purchase this nourishing and nutrient dense meat, the more farmers will be encouraged to raise bison. This directly helps to increase the number of herds which assists in providing genetic diversity for the population.
- 5-6 lbs bison short ribs
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons bison tallow
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 bottles dry red wine
- 8 cups bison bone broth
- 6 cloves of garlic, smashed
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Gently pat the ribs dry with paper towels. Season all over with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat half the bison tallow in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sear the ribs, working in batches. Add more bison tallow as needed. Set the seared ribs aside.
- Sauté the crushed garlic for a couple minutes until softened. Then, pour in the red wine and boil, reducing it to approximately 2 cups.
- Add the ribs back into the pot and pour the bison bone broth over top.
- Put the lid on the Dutch oven and cook in the preheated oven for approximately 3 hours, or until the meat is so tender it’s falling off the bone.
- When the meat has finished cooking, remove with tongs and set aside on a plate. Keep warm.
- Skim excess fat off the top of the cooking liquid and simmer on the stovetop to thicken. Whisk the butter into the sauce and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve the ribs with the sauce spooned over top. Enjoy!
The Beck & Bulow Team Is Here To Help
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar, pork and seafood.