Mastering perfectly seasoned taco meat can make a huge difference in your prowess at throwing together quick dinners in the kitchen. No longer will you rely on pre packaged taco seasoning full of excess salt and additives! The best part is, you can adjust this entirely to your tastes - in no time, you’ll be known far and wide for your amazing tacos. Pair with all of your favorite toppings to create the most delicious tacos you’ve ever had. I added green chile powder to mine for some extra kick, but if you can’t find that you can substitute jalapeno powder to taste or add in a little salsa verde instead. I chose to use our ground bison primal blend for this recipe, but you could use any ground meat you prefer or have on hand.
Our Bison Primal Burger Blend
This unique product is a specially formulated blend of ground bison meat, heart, liver and kidney. The organs are the most nutrient-rich part of the animal, and in ancient cultures this meat was prized and reserved for royalty. However, a lot of people in modern times have an aversion to eating organ meat. This is typically because they’ve never had it prepared correctly, and haven’t tried well-sourced offal. The primal blend is designed to take the intimidation factor out of consuming organ meat. It tastes essentially just like our ground bison, but with all of the added benefits of these nutritional treasure troves. Eaten plain with no seasoning, you may be able to detect a hint of organ flavor - but with seasonings or toppings, your taste buds will never know the difference.
Free Range Bison That Roam Our Beautiful Ranch
Our bison live free range on 20,000 beautiful acres here in New Mexico, or roam freely on our carefully selected partner ranches. They are pasture raised and never administered any amount of hormones, steroids or antibiotics. These are powerful, strong animals that live essentially wild with minimal handling. There were once 60 million bison roaming North America, and we hope to see their numbers increase back to even 1 million during our lifetime. By increasing the demand for ethically sourced bison meat, we can help to bolster their population. The more people that want to purchase this nourishing and nutrient dense meat, the more farmers will be encouraged to raise bison. This directly helps to increase the number of herds which assists in providing genetic diversity for the population.
- 2 tablespoons bison tallow
- 1 medium to large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 pounds bison ground primal blend
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- ½ - 1 tablespoon green chile powder to taste
- Hot sauce to taste
- Lime juice to taste
- Add the two tablespoons of bison tallow to a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onion to the skillet and cook for a minute or two, then add in the minced garlic. Cook until tender and fragrant.
- Add in the meat and cook, stirring frequently. Use a wooden spoon to break the meat into crumbles as it cooks. Cook the ground bison meat just until it’s browned - keep in mind that bison cooks more quickly than beef. Drain excess fat from the pan if necessary.
- Add in the tablespoon of cumin and stir. Then add hot sauce, lime juice and green chile powder to taste.
- Serve with your favorite taco shells or taco salad with your favorite toppings! Enjoy!
Don’t Hesitate To Reach Out To Our Team
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar, pork and seafood.