Pot roast is an American classic. Slow braising in the oven turns this otherwise tough cut of meat into a meltingly tender meal with a thick and rich sauce. If you like, substitute some of the bone broth with red wine. Delicious with whatever vegetables you happen to have on hand, although potatoes, parsnips or carrots are the good old fashioned accompaniments. Serve with the sauce spooned over top, homemade mashed potatoes on the side if you desire. The perfect recipe for chilly winter nights at home.
Free Range Bison, Raised The Way Nature Intended
Our bison live free range on 20,000 beautiful acres here in New Mexico, or roam freely on our carefully selected partner ranches. They are pasture raised and never administered any amount of hormones, steroids or antibiotics. These are powerful, strong animals that live essentially wild with minimal handling. There were once 60 million bison roaming North America, and we hope to see their numbers increase back to even 1 million during our lifetime. By increasing the demand for ethically sourced bison meat, we can help to bolster their population. The more people that want to purchase this nourishing and nutrient dense meat, the more farmers will be encouraged to raise bison. This directly helps to increase the number of herds which assists in providing genetic diversity for the population.
Beef That’s Pasture Raised In Mountain Valleys
Our grass-fed & finished beef is raised essentially wild on a beautiful 20,000 acre ranch here in New Mexico. The cows roam freely as far as the eye can see with extremely minimal handling. For those familiar with New Mexico, it might sound surprising that there’s so much lush green grass for them to graze on. These fields are naturally irrigated by a sparkling river flowing with ice-melt from the Sangre de Cristo mountains. We started stocking beef due to popular demand from customers who wanted to eat this meat with the knowledge that it’s impeccably sourced.
Many people avoid eating beef because it’s often from industrial feedlots. These factory farming operations are harmful to the environment, the animals and the health of people who consume the meat. When cattle and other grazing animals are raised using sustainable agricultural practices, we can actually repair soil health and restore balance to our ecosystems. The natural rhythms of life provide the soil with everything it needs. All we have to do is stop supporting industrial feedlots and raise meat the way we’re supposed to. That’s why our mission at Beck & Bulow is to steer as many people as possible away from eating factory farmed meat.
- 1 bison or grass fed beef chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons bison tallow
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sprigs of rosemary or other herbs
- 2 large onions, sliced thin
- 5 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 3.5 cups bone broth
- 6-8 parsnips, chopped (or whatever vegetables you have on hand)
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Season the roast generously with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper on all sides.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat the bison tallow over medium heat. Brown the onions. Remove the onions from the pot and set aside.
- Add the chopped parsnips to the pot. Cook for about a minute, stirring frequently, then set aside the parsnips with the onions.
- Turn up the heat to medium-high. When shimmering, add a little more tallow to the pot as necessary to brown the roast. When it has a nice sear on all sides, set aside.
- Add one cup of bone broth to the dutch oven. Scrape the bottom with a wooden spoon to get all the flavorful browned bits, then whisk into the broth. Add the roast back into the pot. Pour in the remaining bone broth, ensuring that the roast is halfway submerged.
- Add the browned onions and parsnips to the pot, along with the sprigs of rosemary.
- Roast in the preheated oven for approximately 3 hours, or until it’s so tender that it falls apart when prodded with a fork.
Our Friendly & Knowledgeable Team Is Here To Support You
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised bison, elk, wild boar, lamb, grass fed beef, poultry and seafood.