This simple stew recipe is perfect for when that Indian food craving hits, but you don’t want to make anything complicated. Garam masala is the perfect blend of spices to create that mouth watering, complex flavor. Coconut milk adds an exotic touch, but if you don’t have a can on hand (and I would definitely recommend using the canned kind instead of the kind in a carton) you can just use half and half or milk. Our bison stew meat is a staple in my kitchen because it’s so versatile and easy to cook with. It becomes falling-apart-tender and adds delicious flavor to any stew or curry.
If You Like Beef, You’re Going To Love Bison
If you’ve never eaten bison before, you’re probably curious what it tastes like. The simple answer is that if you like the flavor of beef, you’re going to absolutely love bison. It’s very similar, but with a slightly sweeter taste. It’s naturally leaner and more tender. It has no “gamey” flavor whatsoever. Many customers tell us that once they try bison, they’re amazed at how delicious and versatile it is - any recipe that you’d typically use beef for, bison meat will taste great in.
Free Range Bison, Raised The Way Nature Intended
Our bison live free range on over 5,000 beautiful acres here in New Mexico, or roam freely on our carefully selected partner ranches. When we introduced these bison to the land our ranch is on, they were the first buffalo to roam there in over 100 years. These are powerful, strong animals that live essentially wild with minimal handling. There were once 60 million bison roaming North America, and we hope to see their numbers increase back to even 1 million during our lifetime. By increasing the demand for ethically sourced bison meat, we can help to bolster their population. The more people that want to purchase this nourishing and nutrient dense meat, the more farmers will be encouraged to raise bison. This directly helps to increase the number of herds which assists in providing genetic diversity for the population.
- 2 pounds bison stew meat
- 2 tablespoons bison tallow, divided
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 4 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup coconut milk from the can
- Freshly steamed basmati rice, chopped cilantro and lime wedges for serving
- Heat the bison tallow in a large dutch oven over medium heat. When the tallow is shimmering, add in half of the bison stew meat cubes. Sear on all sides, then remove and set aside. Repeat with the remaining pound of stew meat. Season the seared meat with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of bison tallow to the dutch oven. Add the onion to the pot and cook for a couple minutes, then add the minced garlic and ginger. Continue cooking until the onions are tender and fragrant. Add the can of tomato sauce and the garam masala powder and stir to combine. Using a wooden spoon, scrape any burned browned bits from the bottom of the pot and incorporate them.
- Add the stew meat back into the dutch oven. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1.5 - 2 hours. The meat should be falling apart tender.
- Add the peas and coconut milk to the pot. Continue to cook for a couple minutes until the frozen peas are hot.
- Serve over steamed basmati rice (if desired), garnished with chopped cilantro and lime wedges.
The Beck & Bulow Team Is Here To Help
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar, pork and seafood.