Huevos rancheros are a traditional Mexican breakfast. The name translates to “rancher’s eggs” and is a reference to the morning meals that are served on Mexican farms. This delicious dish is not always served with meat, but adding it in makes it really hearty and nutritious. I’m a huge fan of huevos rancheros for dinner - actually, I’m a fan of all breakfast foods for dinner. This is a great way to use leftover steak that’s been refrigerated, and would also taste great with any other meats that you have leftover. It has the added bonus of being extremely quick to prepare since the meat is already cooked.
If you’ve ever seen Lord of the Rings, you’re probably familiar with the term “second breakfast”. Traditionally, huevos rancheros were served as an actual second breakfast. Ranch hands would (and in rural parts of Mexico, still do) eat first thing in the morning before working, and then have another meal mid-morning to get them through until lunch. When you’re doing strenuous physical labor, you really work up an appetite! This dish is now popular across the Southwest for ranchers and non-ranchers alike. If you want to make it authentic New Mexican style, you can add red or green chile (or both) on top.
If You Like Beef, You’re Going To Love Bison
If you’ve never eaten bison before, you’re probably curious what it tastes like. The simple answer is that if you like the flavor of beef, you’re going to absolutely love bison. It’s very similar, but with a slightly sweeter taste. It’s naturally leaner and more tender. It has no “gamey” flavor whatsoever. Many customers tell us that once they try bison, they’re amazed at how delicious and versatile it is - any recipe that you’d typically use beef for, bison meat will taste great in.
Free Range Bison, Raised The Way Nature Intended
Our bison live free range on 20,000 beautiful acres here in New Mexico, or roam freely on our carefully selected partner ranches. They are pasture raised and never administered any amount of hormones, steroids or antibiotics. These are powerful, strong animals that live essentially wild with minimal handling. There were once 60 million bison roaming North America, and we hope to see their numbers increase back to even 1 million during our lifetime. By increasing the demand for ethically sourced bison meat, we can help to bolster their population. The more people that want to purchase this nourishing and nutrient dense meat, the more farmers will be encouraged to raise bison. This directly helps to increase the number of herds which assists in providing genetic diversity for the population.
- Approximately 1 cup chopped bison sirloin steak, cooked as desired (leftovers work great)
- 1 tablespoon bison tallow
- 2 sliced green onions
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon green chile powder or red pepper flakes
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup Mexican blend shredded cheese
- Tortillas, salsa, avocado and chopped cilantro for serving
- Heat the bison tallow in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add in the onions and cook for about a minute, then add in the chopped bison sirloin, tomato, garlic, cumin and green chile powder. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Cook the eggs sunny side up style. Just before they finish cooking, smother with half of the cheese. Continue to cook just until the cheese melts.
- Heat the tortillas, then place on plates for serving. Add the meat mixture on top, followed by an egg. Top with salsa, cilantro and avocado as desired.
Don’t Hesitate To Reach Out To Our Team
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar, pork and seafood.