This Burmese style curry hails from the country of Myanmar, and is full of delicious South Asian flavors with the comfort of meat and potatoes. Traditionally made with beef, I used our bison stew meat. It would be delicious with our American Wagyu stew meat cubes also. You could serve this over rice if desired, but I found myself completely satisfied thanks to the potatoes. This curry is absolutely bursting with amazing flavor. Burmese curry is slightly different from Thai or Indian curries. You’ll find it to be less creamy and not quite as thick, a little more stew-like in texture. Personally I absolutely love the unique qualities of this curry. This memorable dish is a real crowd pleaser that you’ll find yourself making time and time again.
Pasture Raised Bison Raised On Our Ranch In New Mexico
Our bison live free range on 20,000 beautiful acres here in New Mexico, or roam freely on our carefully selected partner ranches. They are pasture raised and never administered any amount of hormones, steroids or antibiotics. These are powerful, strong animals that live essentially wild with minimal handling. There were once 60 million bison roaming North America, and we hope to see their numbers increase back to even 1 million during our lifetime. By increasing the demand for ethically sourced bison meat, we can help to bolster their population. The more people that want to purchase this nourishing and nutrient dense meat, the more farmers will be encouraged to raise bison. This directly helps to increase the number of herds which assists in providing genetic diversity for the population.
- 2-3 pounds bison stew meat
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- ¼ cup bison tallow
- 3-4 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced lengthwise into thick slices
- 2 stalks lemongrass, sliced into 2 inch sections
- 1 medium to large onion, finely diced
- ⅓ cup minced garlic
- 2 bird’s eye chilies, sliced thin
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 4 cups bison bone broth
- 1 tablespoon Madras curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 pound yellow potatoes, chopped into cubes
- 1 tablespoon coconut cream
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- Lime wedges for garnish
- Mix together the paprika, sea salt and turmeric powder in a bowl. Add the stew meat cubes into the seasoning mixture and toss to coat thoroughly. Set aside to marinate.
- Heat the bison tallow in a large Dutch oven or stock pot over medium-high heat. Add in the slices of ginger and sauté until lightly golden brown. Add in the lemongrass and cook for another minute or two until tender.
- Reduce the heat slightly and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add in the bay leaves, minced garlic and sliced chilies. Reduce the heat all the way to medium-low. Continue to stir frequently and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add the bison stew meat cubes into the pot. Pour the fish sauce over top and stir to combine, then pour the bison bone broth over top.
- Turn up the heat and bring the pot to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 1 ½ - 2 hours, or until the meat is tender.
- Add in the Madras curry powder and garam masala powder, along with the chopped potatoes. Stir and adjust seasoning to taste. Cook for approximately 15 more minutes until the potatoes are softened.
- Let the curry sit for 30 minutes before serving. Stir in the tablespoon of coconut cream. Serve and enjoy, garnished with chopped cilantro and lime.
Our Team Would Love To Hear From You
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based. And if you’re a New Mexico local, be sure to check out our butcher shop!
Every cut of meat and seafood is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of pasture raised bison, beef, elk, lamb, wild boar, poultry, seafood and more.