This bison quesadilla recipe has all the flavor of the Southwest, and is secretly full of powerhouse superfood nutrition. I love to use a Mexican blend cheese or pepper jack for quesadillas, but you can easily just use whatever you have on hand that gets nice and melty. Black beans and green chile powder make this recipe truly Southwestern, with plenty of cumin and cilantro. The cilantro cream sauce is like the cherry on top and takes this quesadilla from delicious-but-typical to really outstanding. Any of our ground meats would be great in this recipe, but I chose our Primal Blend for its amazing health benefits.
Why Everyone Loves Our Bison Primal Burger Blend
This unique product is a specially formulated blend of ground bison, heart, liver and kidney. The organs are the most nutrient-rich part of the animal, and in ancient cultures this meat was prized and reserved for royalty. However, a lot of people in modern times have an aversion to eating organ meat. This is typically because they’ve never had it prepared correctly, and haven’t tried well-sourced offal. The Primal Blend is designed to take the intimidation factor out of consuming organ meat. It tastes just like our ground bison, but with all of the added benefits of these nutritional treasure troves.
Free Range Bison, Raised The Way Nature Intended
Our bison live free range on 20,000 beautiful acres here in New Mexico, or roam freely on our carefully selected partner ranches. They are pasture raised and never administered any amount of hormones, steroids or antibiotics. These are powerful, strong animals that live essentially wild with minimal handling. There were once 60 million bison roaming North America, and we hope to see their numbers increase back to even 1 million during our lifetime. By increasing the demand for ethically sourced bison meat, we can help to bolster their population. The more people that want to purchase this nourishing and nutrient dense meat, the more farmers will be encouraged to raise bison. This directly helps to increase the number of herds which assists in providing genetic diversity for the population.
- 1 lb ground Bison Primal Burger Blend, cooked
- 1 tablespoon bison tallow
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon green chile powder (or any other chili powder to taste)
- 1.5 cups shredded cheese
- 8 tortillas
- ¾ cup sour cream
- Half of a lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ¾ cup fresh cilantro, minced
- Salsa for serving
- Heat the bison tallow in a cast iron skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add in the bell peppers, beans, diced onion, cumin, and green chile powder. Cook for a few minutes until the veggies become tender and fragrant. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Remove from the heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream, lime juice, avocado oil, and minced cilantro. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Heat a clean pan or skillet over medium heat. Place one of the tortillas in the hot pan, then fill a layer of cheese, the cooked vegetable mixture, and the cooked bison meat followed by more cheese on top. Add another tortilla on top to complete the quesadilla and cook for about 3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Set the cooked quesadilla aside and cover to keep warm. Repeat the process with the remaining ingredients until all the quesadillas are cooked.
- Slice the quesadillas and serve immediately with the cilantro cream sauce over top. Enjoy!
Our Friendly Team Is Here To Help
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat and seafood is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised bison, elk, wild boar, lamb, grass fed beef, heritage pork, poultry and seafood.