Some people think salads have to be tasteless and boring, but nothing could be further from the truth. Salads can be so full of flavor, satisfying and delicious – all it takes is the right ingredients. I love to mix in plenty of satisfying things like toasted nuts, avocado and of course quality meat. Grilled chicken salads are great and everything, don’t get me wrong – but what could be better than a steak salad? A juicy, flavorful bison ribeye steak, cooked to perfection and sliced into strips on top of the best salad you’ve ever had… if that sounds appealing, you’re going to love this recipe.
Fresh & Exciting Ingredients Keep Salads From Being Boring
Toasted pine nuts are one of my absolute favorite things to put in salads. Serving the salad while the nuts are still warm offers a really wonderful touch. There are few things that smell better than pine nuts as they toast – they’re so fragrant and delicious. You can do this with any nuts – pine nuts are just my personal favorite, and a local classic here in New Mexico. Feel free to improvise with whatever you have in your kitchen! A combination of fresh and crunchy with a touch of sweet, creamy and savory are the makings of an amazing salad. You’ll find yourself making some version of this for easy lunches and dinners because of how great it tastes and how vital and healthy you feel afterwards. You can also mix up the protein with grilled salmon, other types of steak, or chicken.
Free Range Bison That Roam Our Beautiful Ranch
Our bison live free range on 10,000 beautiful acres here in New Mexico, or roam freely on our carefully selected partner ranches. They are pasture raised and never administered any amount of hormones, steroids or antibiotics. These are powerful, strong animals that live essentially wild with minimal handling. There were once 60 million bison roaming North America, and we hope to see their numbers increase back to even 1 million during our lifetime. By increasing the demand for ethically sourced bison meat, we can help to bolster their population. The more people that want to purchase this nourishing and nutrient dense meat, the more farmers will be encouraged to raise bison. This directly helps to increase the number of herds which assists in providing genetic diversity for the population.
- 2 bison boneless ribeye steaks
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons bison tallow for cooking
- 4 cups salad greens of choice
- 1 ½ cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, sliced
- ⅓ cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onions
- ¼ cup feta cheese
For the salad dressing:
- 2 tablespoons stone ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Season the steaks on all sides with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Heat the bison tallow in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. When shimmering, sear the steaks on both sides until they reach desired doneness. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a dry pan, toast the pine nuts. They’re done when they become really fragrant.
- Whisk together all ingredients for the salad dressing.
- Chop the (washed) salad greens if necessary. Place in a large bowl.
- Add in the cherry tomatoes, toasted pine nuts, hemp seeds, and red onions.
- Pour the salad dressing over top and mix thoroughly.
- Slice the ribeye steaks into strips. Set aside.
- Divide the salad evenly between four bowls. Top each with ¼ of the sliced ribeye steak, feta cheese and avocado. Serve and enjoy!
Our Team Is Here To Help!
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar, pork and seafood.