This might be the ultimate holiday appetizer. Thinly sliced bison tenderloin on top of buttery, perfectly crispy French bread slices, spread generously with rosemary balsamic mayonnaise and topped with buttery, golden brown slices of shallots. Just typing those words makes my mouth water. Wait until you try it out for yourself - your family and friends will be so impressed with this bruschetta. It’s indulgent, fancy and absolutely perfect for the holidays. This extra special bruschetta will be something you look forward to making every year.
Free Range Bison, Raised The Way Nature Intended
Our bison live free range on 20,000 beautiful acres here in New Mexico, or roam freely on our carefully selected partner ranches. They are pasture raised and never administered any amount of hormones, steroids or antibiotics. These are powerful, strong animals that live essentially wild with minimal handling. There were once 60 million bison roaming North America, and we hope to see their numbers increase back to even 1 million during our lifetime. By increasing the demand for ethically sourced bison meat, we can help to bolster their population. The more people that want to purchase this nourishing and nutrient dense meat, the more farmers will be encouraged to raise bison. This directly helps to increase the number of herds which assists in providing genetic diversity for the population.
- About half of a bison tenderloin roast (approximately 2 pounds)
- Avocado oil or bison tallow
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 loaf of crusty French bread, sliced
- 8 shallots, sliced
- 1 cup unsalted butter, divided (you may use less than a cup)
- 1 ⅓ cup good quality mayonnaise
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 ¼ teaspoons sea salt
- 1 ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- Add about 4 tablespoons of butter to a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Take care that the pan doesn’t get too hot for the butter. When hot, add in the sliced shallots. Stir to combine. Add a pinch of sea salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to caramelize. When finished cooking the shallots, remove from the heat and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Rub the avocado oil (or if using bison tallow, melt it) and rub it all over the bison tenderloin. Season generously with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper on all sides.
- Add a ½ cup of butter to a large cast iron skillet over medium high heat. When shimmering, add the tenderloin roast and sear on all sides to create a flavorful crust. Add more butter as needed, if necessary.
- When the tenderloin is finished searing, place it in a baking dish and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the tenderloin roast from the oven and cover loosely with foil to rest for around 10 minutes. When it’s finished resting, slice thin and set aside, covered.
- Make the rosemary balsamic mayonnaise. In a small bowl, mix together the mayo, balsamic vinegar, 1 ¼ teaspoons sea salt, 1 ¼ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, and 1 ½ teaspoons chopped rosemary. Set aside.
- Add about two tablespoons of butter to the cast iron skillet over medium high heat. When hot, add in slices of bread in a single layer - work in batches as necessary. Cook the bread on both sides until they’re golden brown and slightly crispy. Remove from the heat and set aside on a platter.
- To assemble, spread the rosemary balsamic mayonnaise on each slice of bread. Add slices of bison tenderloin on top, and finish each piece off with the reserved caramelized shallots. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Don’t Hesitate To Reach Out To Our Team
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised bison, elk, wild boar, lamb, grass fed beef, poultry and seafood.