I’ve never even been to Canada, and I’ve still heard all about how amazing poutine is. For those of us in the States, the only real option is to make it – although I have heard that Trader Joe’s now offers poutine in the freezer section. We all know homemade food nearly always blows anything else out of the water, so I feel confident in my decision to cook up this famous French-Canadian dish for myself. The optional addition of a little Kentucky bourbon gives some really amazing flavor to our best selling ground bison meat.
Cheese curds can be a little hard to find in the United States, but if you live near a cheese factory it won’t be a problem – I’ve also heard that they’re sold at Whole Foods. If you can’t find them, just substitute ½ cottage cheese and ½ shredded cheese for the 5oz of cheese curds called for in the recipe. Trust me, your poutine will still be delicious. This addictive dish is probably one of the ultimate comfort foods, like cheese fries but even better and with enough substance that you can get away with eating it as a meal. If you make this poutine, be sure to tag us on Instagram with a photo. We love to see your creations!
Pasture Raised Bison That Roam Freely
Our bison live free range on 20,000 beautiful acres here in New Mexico, or roam freely on our carefully selected partner ranches. They are pasture raised and never administered any amount of hormones, steroids or antibiotics. These are powerful, strong animals that live essentially wild with minimal handling. There were once 60 million bison roaming North America, and we hope to see their numbers increase back to even 1 million during our lifetime. By increasing the demand for ethically sourced bison meat, we can help to bolster their population. The more people that want to purchase this nourishing and nutrient dense meat, the more farmers will be encouraged to raise bison. This directly helps to increase the number of herds which assists in providing genetic diversity for the population.
- 1 package french fries (I personally prefer curly fries)
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 pound ground bison
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon Kentucky bourbon (optional)
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- 5 oz of cheese curds (if you can’t find them, substitute equal parts cottage cheese and shredded cheese)
- Scallions, sliced for garnish
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the gravy:
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup bison bone broth
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- To make the gravy, melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Slowly add in the flour, whisking constantly until it’s completely combined. Slowly pour in the bison bone broth. Whisk constantly until the gravy thickens. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Prepare the oven by preheating to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake the frozen fries on a baking sheet according to the package directions.
- While the fries are cooking, heat the avocado oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion, ground bison, and bourbon to the skillet and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Cook, stirring frequently and breaking up the ground meat, just until the bison is no longer pink. Remove from the stove and set aside.
- Remove the cooked fries from the oven. Immediately sprinkle generously with shredded cheese.
- Transfer the fries and cheese to a large plate. Add the ground bison mixture evenly over the top, along with the cheese curds (or cottage cheese/shredded cheese mixture) then finish by pouring on the gravy. Garnish with scallions and enjoy immediately!
Our Friendly & Knowledgeable Team Is Here To Help
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar and seafood.