If you love brisket like me, you’re going to instantly understand why this chili is so delicious. It’s slow cooked brisket perfection with all the right ingredients to make this chili taste incredible. Although you can easily prepare it on the stove, this recipe is a perfect contestant for the slow cooker or Instant Pot. As with all cuts of meat that are meant to be cooked low and slow, if the meat isn’t falling apart tender, you simply need to cook it longer.
Also Read: Paleo Crock Pot Bison Superfood Stew With Primal Blend
Free Range Bison, Raised The Way Nature Intended
Our bison live free range on 20,000 beautiful acres here in New Mexico, or roam freely on our carefully selected partner ranches. They are pasture raised and never administered any amount of hormones, steroids or antibiotics. These are powerful, strong animals that live essentially wild with minimal handling. There were once 60 million bison roaming North America, and we hope to see their numbers increase back to even 1 million during our lifetime. By increasing the demand for ethically sourced bison meat, we can help to bolster their population. The more people that want to purchase this nourishing and nutrient dense meat, the more farmers will be encouraged to raise bison. This directly helps to increase the number of herds which assists in providing genetic diversity for the population.
Also Read: Slow Braised Bison Brisket For A Warm & Cozy Evening
Beef That’s Pasture Raised In Mountain Valleys
Our grass-fed & finished beef is raised essentially wild on a beautiful 20,000 acre ranch here in New Mexico. The cows roam freely as far as the eye can see with extremely minimal handling. For those familiar with New Mexico, it might sound surprising that there’s so much lush green grass for them to graze on. These fields are naturally irrigated by a sparkling river flowing with ice-melt from the Sangre de Cristo mountains. We started stocking beef due to popular demand from customers who wanted to eat this meat with the knowledge that it’s impeccably sourced.
- Approximately two pounds of bison or grass fed beef brisket
- 4-5 tablespoons bison tallow
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 oz shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 2 large green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, deseeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1.5 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon green chile powder
- 2.5 cups bison bone broth
- 1 can organic diced tomatoes
- 6 oz double concentrated tomato paste
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Also Read: Winter Holiday Bison Tenderloin Roast With Red Wine Sauce
- Heat some of the bison tallow in a large cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Season the brisket on all sides with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. When the tallow in the pan is hot, sear the brisket on all sides. Take the time to get a nice crust on all sides for optimal flavor. When it’s thoroughly seared, remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add more tallow to the pan if necessary. Add the onion to the pan and cook for approximately one minute. Then, add the minced garlic, shitake mushrooms and green peppers. Cook until the onions are golden brown and fragrant.
- Place the beef or bison brisket and vegetables into a slow cooker or Instant Pot. Add in the jalapeño pepper, herbs and spices, bone broth, tomatoes and tomato paste. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook on low (or on the slow cook function if using the Instant Pot) for approximately 7 hours.
- After 7 hours, open the pot and shred the meat. It should be falling apart tender. Continue to cook for about an hour with the lid off to let the liquid reduce down a bit and thicken.
- Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve and enjoy.
The Beck & Bulow Team Is Here To Help
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Also Read: The Ultimate Beck & Bulow Roast Beef Sandwich Recipe
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar and seafood.