This taco casserole is the perfect flavor packed easy meal – it’s ideal for making ahead, too. Just plan on baking it for about ten minutes extra if it’s been refrigerated before cooking. Assemble it in advance and store, covered in the refrigerator until you’re ready to put it in the oven. Having a premade dish that I simply have to bake and enjoy is a feeling I really enjoy. It’s meal planning at its finest, and if you’re having friends over allows you to spend time with them rather than slaving away in the kitchen. Tacos are already an easy dish to make, but this casserole is even easier – you don’t even have to assemble the tacos at the end. I like mine with guacamole and salsa. Makes great leftovers, too! It’s a cinch to reheat and stays good in the refrigerator for a couple days.
Beef That’s Pasture Raised In Mountain Valleys
Our grass-fed & finished beef is raised essentially wild on a beautiful 20,000 acre ranch here in New Mexico. The cows roam freely as far as the eye can see with extremely minimal handling. For those familiar with New Mexico, it might sound surprising that there’s so much lush green grass for them to graze on. These fields are naturally irrigated by a sparkling river flowing with ice-melt from the Sangre de Cristo mountains. We started stocking beef due to popular demand from customers who wanted to eat this meat with the knowledge that it’s impeccably sourced.
Many people avoid eating beef because it’s often from industrial feedlots. These factory farming operations are harmful to the environment, the animals and the health of people who consume the meat. When cattle and other grazing animals are raised using sustainable agricultural practices, we can actually repair soil health and restore balance to our ecosystems. The natural rhythms of life provide the soil with everything it needs. All we have to do is stop supporting industrial feedlots and raise meat the way we’re supposed to. That’s why our mission at Beck & Bulow is to steer as many people as possible away from eating factory farmed meat.
- 1 pound grass fed ground beef
- 1 tablespoon bison tallow or avocado oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 packet of taco seasoning
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 2 cups Mexican blend cheese
- ¾ cup tortilla chips or strips
- 1 can refried beans
- ¼ cup chopped green bell pepper
- Sliced green onions, lettuce, cilantro and diced tomatoes for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat the bison tallow or avocado oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, bell peppers and ground beef to the pan. Cook, breaking the meat up with a wooden spoon, until the meat is cooked all the way through (but don’t overcook).
- If necessary, drain excess grease from the skillet.
- Add the packet of taco seasoning and ¾ cup water to the skillet. Turn the heat up and bring to a boil, then reduce and simmer, stirring often, for approximately 5 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and set aside.
- Spread the can of refried beans evenly in the bottom of a large, deep baking dish.
- Add a layer of sour cream over the beans, then the cooked beef, onion and green pepper mixture on top. Finish it off with the cheese sprinkled evenly over the meat.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes, until the cheese is melted and gooey.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for a couple minutes. Add a layer of tortilla chips or strips on top. Garnish with sliced green onions, lettuce, tomatoes and cilantro. Enjoy!
Our Friendly & Knowledgeable Team Is Here To Support You
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar and seafood.