Are you a breakfast person? I know I am - I wake up starving pretty much every morning. To be completely honest, I often resort to eating toast as I run out the door on my way to work. But I know from experience that I feel much better throughout the day if I eat something with protein first thing in the morning. This casserole is really easy to make in advance - you can either refrigerate it overnight and pop it in the oven first thing in the morning, or have it already baked and reheat individual portions. It’s also a great weekend breakfast for a lazy Sunday.
Flavorful Free Range Heritage Pork Sausage
I used our heritage pork Italian sausage for this recipe, and loved the spicy yet slightly sweet flavor. This would also be amazing with our Hatch green chile pork sausage (a New Mexico specialty). Next time, I think I’ll add in some chopped wild boar bacon for good measure. I think the flavor of this casserole was also really enhanced by the fact that I used fresh eggs from the local farmer’s market. I find that there’s a huge difference in the way those taste compared with the free range ones I get from the supermarket - and I think the difference is in the freshness. If you don’t have fresh eggs available, don’t worry… this will still turn out delicious. I think this casserole would also be great with some shredded potatoes mixed in.
Free Range Heritage Pork Raised On The Rio Grande River
Our heritage pork is raised completely free range on a beautiful small farm here in Northern New Mexico. Each animal has approximately one half acre of land. These pigs roam as they please, swimming in the Rio Grande river. The farm is a rehabilitation center for those struggling with drug addictions. The center features agricultural therapy through caring for and interacting with the pigs. These animals get daily interaction, treats and live a completely stress-free life. Living stress-free is important for all animals, but particularly essential for pigs because they are quite sensitive. This pork is USDA Certified and grain fed with a nutritionally balanced diet. The pigs consume a nutritionally ideal ratio of crude protein, crude fiber and plant fiber. This pork is completely hormone, steroid and antibiotic free, just like all our other meat.
- 2 pounds mild Italian heritage pork sausage
- A dozen eggs (farm fresh if possible)
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¼ cup whole milk
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 green onions, sliced thin
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly grease a 9x13” baking dish with butter or bison tallow and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dozen eggs, sour cream, milk and shredded cheese. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Whisk just until the mixture is combined. Set aside.
- Cook the mild Italian sausage in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Cook the meat until browned, breaking it apart into crumbles. Pour off most of the excess grease from the skillet (leave enough to sauté the vegetables) and add the browned sausage into the bowl with the egg and cheese mixture.
- Cook the chopped onions in the skillet for 2-3 minutes, then add in the bell peppers and cook for two more minutes. Remove from the skillet with a slotted spoon and add them into the large mixing bowl with the rest of the ingredients. Give it a quick stir to combine everything evenly.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 45 minutes or until the eggs are set (the center should have a slight give to it). Serve immediately and enjoy!
Feel Free To Reach Out To Our Team
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar, pork and seafood.