I’m a huge fan of eating food from other countries. Whether while traveling, in an authentic restaurant, or cooking in my own kitchen, it always feels exciting and fun to me. I recently developed an obsession with harissa. This spice blend originated in Tunisia and is associated with Moroccan and Middle Eastern cuisine. It usually consists of smoked chiles, garlic, olive oil, cumin, caraway, coriander, mint, tomato and rose petals. It’s definitely got some heat to it and is bursting with amazing flavors. You can find it in some grocery stores, or if you have a Middle Eastern market nearby they will definitely carry it. If you have trouble finding it, it’s really easy to make your own. And the best part is, it’s delicious on just about anything.
These harissa spiced lamb burgers are the perfect vehicle for this addictive seasoning. The outstanding flavor of our lamb is the ideal choice for carrying full bodied flavors and spices such as harissa (although it’s delicious with chicken and other red meats as well). These are not your typical burgers and are great for mixing it up. Topped with fresh arugula, feta cheese and a little extra harissa, they’re seriously mouthwatering. You can also mix harissa into some good quality mayonnaise and use that as a spread.
The Best Tasting & Most Ethically Sourced Lamb
Our lamb is raised on the North Island of New Zealand, in the incredibly beautiful foothills of Mount Ruapehu. The lambs are born and live their lives freely roaming the lush green landscape. These animals are raised by the Maori people native to New Zealand, and have been bred for generations for extraordinary taste and quality. They graze on verdant green grass rich with nutrients and are never given any type of antibiotics or growth hormones.
Why We Choose New Zealand Lamb
Lambs in New Zealand graze on some of the world’s most lush and nutrient rich pastures. The country enjoys a unique, subtropical climate that encourages animals and plants alike to flourish. New Zealand has some of the best conditions in the world for raising lamb, which might explain why their population outnumbers humans. Cultural traditions in New Zealand make it the industry standard to raise meat humanely and naturally. New Zealand lamb is grass fed throughout its life, unlike American lamb which is often grain finished to encourage larger size and higher body fat percentage. New Zealand lambs are smaller in size, because they were allowed to grow and develop the way nature intended.
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon harissa or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 pounds ground lamb
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Avocado oil
- Arugula for serving
- Feta cheese
- 6 burger buns
- In a large bowl, combine the minced shallots, parsley, cilantro, coriander, cumin, cinnamon and harissa paste. Mix to combine evenly. Add in the ground lamb, Use your hands to mix just until combined.
- Form 6 burger patties with the spiced lamb mixture.
- Set the oven to broil. Brush avocado oil onto the surface of the lamb burgers. Place the burgers in a large cast iron skillet (or two if necessary). Broil for 10-12 minutes. Flip the burgers halfway through the cooking time and brush on additional avocado oil.
- Let the burgers rest for a few minutes before serving. Spread a small amount of harissa on the top bun for each burger. Assemble the burgers with arugula, feta cheese and other condiments or toppings as desired.
The Beck & Bulow Team Is Here To Support You
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar and seafood.