Spiced Orange & Cranberry Wild Boar Tenderloin Recipe
Holy moly, this wild boar tenderloin recipe is one of the most festive things I think I’ve ever tasted. It’s cooked with cranberry sauce, orange zest, cinnamon and red wine which makes for a cornucopia of holiday flavors. This is the perfect turkey alternative for Thanksgiving, particularly if you’re looking for something that cooks more quickly. Our wild boar tenderloin is so flavorful and tender, it’s quickly become one of my favorite cuts to cook with. Once you try it you’ll be a convert for life.
Wild Boar Is One Of The Most Sustainable Meats Available
Our Southwestern wild boar roam the forests, foraging their natural diet. They love to eat berries, nuts, roots and tubers which give their meat its unique and delectable flavor profile. They’re trapped under the supervision of specialized veterinarians and butchered by a small scale, species specific facility. Just like all of our products, we care about where this meat comes from. Wild boar are actually an invasive species to North America, and their population continues to grow. They ruin crops and disrupt the growth of endangered plants in forests by digging in the soil. When we eat humanely trapped wild boar meat it helps to protect our food supply and forest ecosystems.
Expertly Butchered By Hand, Outstanding In Flavor
People are always asking us about the best ways to eat wild boar. If you’re used to eating pork, the nutty and delicious flavor of wild boar meat will blow your mind. It’s so much more flavorful and satisfying than conventional pork. Customers tell us all the time that they find themselves unable to go back to eating conventional pork after trying out this meat.
In addition to the unbeatable flavor, wild boar meat offers a multitude of health benefits that blow pork out of the water. It’s lower in total fat and calories while offering more omega 3 fatty acids, vitamins and minerals. We are big believers in the advantages of eating wild meat and the nutritional profile of wild boar is a perfect example of this. Our wild boar meat is unparalleled in flavor because we work with small-scale, species specific master butchers who know how to properly process this meat.
- 3-4 pounds wild boar tenderloin
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon Saigon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine
- 1 can of good cranberry sauce
- 1 large red onion, sliced into wedges
- Let the thawed wild boar tenderloin sit out for approximately one hour at room temperature before cooking. This will ensure that the meat cooks evenly.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, stir together the cornstarch, Saigon cinnamon, sea salt and orange zest. Pour in the orange juice, dry red wine and can of cranberry sauce. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
- Place the wild boar tenderloins in a baking pan. Season generously on all sides with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Roast in the oven for 45-50 minutes. Remove from the oven and add the sliced red onion into the pan, nestled in around the meat. Add ½ of the reserved cranberry sauce mixture to the pan. Put it back in the oven and continue to roast for 30-45 minutes, or until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 155 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove from the oven and let the meat rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing and serving. Serve with the rest of the reserved cranberry sauce mixture spooned over the top.
The Beck & Bulow Team Is Here To Help
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar and seafood.