Maple Wild Boar Bacon Cinnamon Rolls For Breakfast
This is the perfect breakfast for a snow day or lazy Sunday morning when you feel like enjoying some time baking with loved ones. Baking is such a wonderful bonding activity. Some of my favorite childhood memories are of making holiday breakfasts or desserts with my mother in the kitchen. If you haven’t tried a maple wild boar bacon dessert yet, this one incorporates the sweet and savory flavors perfectly. Making cinnamon rolls from scratch definitely takes some time compared to making pancakes or French toast for breakfast, but trust me - they’re well worth the extra effort.
Also Read: Wild Blue Mexican Shrimp Flatbreads With Avocado & Bacon
Wild Boar Bacon Is The (Not So) Secret Ingredient
If you’ve never tried our wild boar bacon before, get ready to be obsessed. Bacon is already known for being one of the most delicious foods in existence. Our wild boars roam the forests of the Southwest, foraging their natural preferred diet of roots, nuts, berries and tubers. This gives our wild boar meat a nutty, complex flavor profile that has so much depth and dimension compared to conventional pork bacon. It’s also slightly less greasy than conventional bacon and contains more vitamins and minerals. Wild boar is one of the most sustainable meats you can eat. The species is not native to North America and as a result their skyrocketing populations have a detrimental effect on the forests they live in.
Also Read: Maple Bacon Cupcakes With Duck Or Wild Boar Bacon
For the maple bacon glazed topping:
- 1 teaspoon maple extract
- ¼ cup whole milk or half and half
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons espresso powder (can usually be found with instant coffee)
- Pinch of sea salt
- Powdered sugar as desired (approximately 1 ½ cups)
- Wild boar bacon, cooked and chopped
For the homemade cinnamon rolls:
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1 heaping teaspoon active dry yeast
- 2 ¼ cups flour, divided
- Heaping ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- Heaping ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- Melted butter, coconut sugar and cinnamon
Also Read: Southwestern Wild Boar Chili That Everyone Will Love
- First, make the cinnamon rolls. In a small saucepan, whisk together the milk, avocado oil and coconut sugar. Heat until it is near boiling but not actually boiling. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool completely.
- After allowing the mixture approximately 45 minutes to cool completely, put it in the bowl of a stand mixer. Add the yeast and let it sit for a few minutes to activate. You’ll know it’s activated when it starts to bubble.
- Add 2 cups of flour to the stand mixer. Combine. Cover the bowl and let the dough rise for about an hour (it should double in volume).
- Once the dough has finished rising, add the remaining ¼ cup of flour along with the baking powder, baking soda and sea salt. Mix to combine.
- Prepare a lightly floured surface to roll out the dough. Form a rectangle.
- Drizzle melted butter over the rectangle of dough. Add cinnamon and coconut sugar as desired.
- Tightly roll the rectangle like a rug. Pinch the end of the roll to seal in place.
- Grease the bottom of a baking dish with more melted butter.
- Slice the log of cinnamon rolls into pieces about one inch in thickness. Add them into the baking pan.
- Set the pan aside to allow the cinnamon rolls to rise, approximately 20-30 minutes.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- While the cinnamon rolls are baking, make the glaze. Whisk together the wet ingredients. Gradually add in powdered sugar until you reach the desired sweetness and consistency. Fold in the chopped bacon as desired.
- When the cinnamon rolls are finished baking, drizzle the glaze over top. Garnish with more chopped bacon as desired.
Our Friendly & Knowledgeable Team Is Here To Support You
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Also Read: Pulled Wild Boar Sandwiches With Caramelized Pineapple
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar and seafood.