Nori Furikake Wild Boar Stir Fry With Brussels Sprouts
In Japan, nori furikake is the go-to seasoning for just about anything - akin to how we use salt and pepper here in America. This earthy, salty seasoning is absolutely delicious and consists of dried seaweed, kelp, salt and nutty sesame seeds. You’ll love the flavor it gives your food and it’s especially tasty in stir fries. You can find nori furikake seasoning on the Asian cooking aisle of most grocery stores (it’s also readily available online). Our ground wild boar meat makes this stir fry rich and satisfying. Chopped brussels sprouts add vibrant green color and crunchy yet tender texture.
One Of The Most Sustainable Meats You Can Eat
Our Southwestern wild boar roam the forests, foraging their natural diet. They love to eat berries, nuts, roots and tubers which give their meat its unique and delectable flavor profile. They’re trapped under the supervision of specialized veterinarians and butchered by a small scale, species specific facility. Just like all of our products, we care about where this meat comes from. Wild boar are actually an invasive species to North America, and their population continues to grow. They ruin crops and disrupt the growth of endangered plants in forests by digging in the soil. When we eat humanely trapped wild boar meat it helps to protect our food supply and forest ecosystems.
Old World Butchery Is The Key To Delicious Wild Boar Meat
People are always asking us about the best ways to eat wild boar. If you’re used to eating pork, the nutty and delicious flavor of wild boar meat will blow your mind. It’s so much more flavorful and satisfying than conventional pork. Customers tell us all the time that they find themselves unable to go back to eating conventional pork after trying out this meat.
In addition to the unbeatable flavor, wild boar meat offers a multitude of health benefits that really outshine conventional pork. It’s lower in total fat and calories while offering more omega 3 fatty acids, vitamins and minerals. We are big believers in the advantages of eating wild meat and the nutritional profile of wild boar is a perfect example of this. Our wild boar meat is unparalleled in flavor because we work with small-scale, species specific master butchers who know how to properly process this meat.
- 1 tablespoon bison tallow
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 shallots, minced
- ¼ pound shiitake mushrooms, sliced thin
- Nori Komi Furikake seasoning
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger (peeled)
- 2 pounds ground wild boar
- 3 cups brussels sprouts, trimmed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 3 green onions, sliced thin
- Toasted sesame seeds for garnish
- Heat the bison tallow in a large cast iron skillet or wok over medium heat. When it’s sufficiently hot, add in the chopped carrots, shallots and shiitake mushrooms. Season with nori komi furikake (or plain sea salt). Cook for approximately 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Add in the minced garlic and ginger and stir. Cook for another minute or so to incorporate the flavors.
- Add the ground wild boar to the skillet. Season with more nori komi furikake or sea salt. Break the meat up into crumbles with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Turn the heat up a bit and cook until the wild boar is nicely browned.
- Remove the meat from the skillet with a slotted spoon and set aside (cover to keep warm).
- Add the chopped brussels sprouts to the skillet and cook them in the fat drippings from the meat. Season as desired with more nori komi furikake/sea salt. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the leaves are gently wilted.
- Add the cooked wild boar meat back into the skillet and stir to combine. Add in the rice vinegar, fish sauce and coconut aminos, adjusting the seasonings according to taste.
- Serve garnished with sesame oil, chopped green onions and toasted sesame seeds. Enjoy immediately!
The Beck & Bulow Team Is Happy To Help
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based. And if you’re a New Mexico local, be sure to check out our butcher shop!
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar, pork and seafood.