Instant Pot Hoisin Meatballs With Bison & Wild Boar
Meatballs have got to be one of the most versatile and convenient things that I make. They reheat well, can go on top of just about anything, and there’s endless possibilities when it comes to flavors, seasonings and sauces. These hoisin meatballs are the perfect sweet and savory combination of Asian flavors. Hoisin sauce, also known as Chinese barbecue sauce, is awesome for cooking (it also makes a delicious condiment). It’s wonderfully salty, slightly sweet and rich in flavor. A little bit goes a long way. It makes for a really tasty sauce for these bison and wild boar meatballs, and they’re incredibly quick to make using an Instant Pot. You can have these ready in less than 30 minutes from start to finish. Serve on top of rice, on their own, over noodles or any other way that strikes your fancy!
Also Read: Recipe: Korean Bibimbap Bowls With Bison Sirloin Steak
Free Range Bison Raised On Our Beautiful Ranch
Our bison live free range on 10,000 beautiful acres here in New Mexico, or roam freely on our carefully selected partner ranches. They are pasture raised and never administered any amount of hormones, steroids or antibiotics. These are powerful, strong animals that live essentially wild with minimal handling. There were once 60 million bison roaming North America, and we hope to see their numbers increase back to even 1 million during our lifetime. By increasing the demand for ethically sourced bison meat, we can help to bolster their population. The more people that want to purchase this nourishing and nutrient dense meat, the more farmers will be encouraged to raise bison. This directly helps to increase the number of herds which assists in providing genetic diversity for the population.
Also Read: Recipe: Mini Meatloaves With Ground Bison & Wild Boar
A Delicious & Sustainable Meat Choice
Our Southwestern wild boar roam the forests, foraging their natural diet. They love to eat berries, nuts, roots and tubers which give their meat its unique and delectable flavor profile. They’re trapped under the supervision of specialized veterinarians and butchered by a small scale, species specific facility. Just like all of our products, we care about where this meat comes from. Wild boar are actually an invasive species to North America, and their population continues to grow. They ruin crops and disrupt the growth of endangered plants in forests by digging in the soil. When we eat humanely trapped wild boar meat it helps to protect our food supply and forest ecosystems.
- 1 cup bison bone broth
- 3 tablespoons hoisin
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ½ small onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound ground bison
- 1 pound ground wild boar
- 4 green onions, sliced thin & toasted sesame seeds for garnish
Also Read: Top Sirloin Steak Bites With Rosemary Garlic Butter
- Whisk together the bison bone broth, hoisin and coconut aminos in the Instant Pot. Turn on the sauté function and bring the sauce mixture to a boil. Simmer for a few minutes until the sauce reduces a bit.
- In a large mixing bowl, make the meatball mixture. Combine the ground bison and wild boar with the lightly beaten egg, chopped onion, cilantro, minced garlic, ground ginger, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mix with your hands just until combined (take care not to overmix). Shape into meatballs approximately 1 ½ inches in diameter.
- If desired, brown the meatballs in a skillet before cooking (this step is completely optional and they will be delicious either way).
- Add the meatballs into the Instant Pot and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Release the pressure valve.
- Serve the meatballs garnished with toasted sesame seeds and chopped green onions. Spoon sauce over the top and enjoy!
Our Friendly & Knowledgeable Team Is Here To Help
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Also Read: Shredded Slow Cooked Bison Roast For Meal Prepping
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar, pork and seafood.