Southwestern Wild Boar Chili That Everyone Will Love
There’s something so wildly satisfying about really great chili. If you’ve never tried our ground wild boar meat, now is the time because it really shines in this complexly flavored chili recipe. If this meal doesn’t make you feel like curling up with a cozy blanket, I don’t know what will. The bison bone broth and tallow make this chili rich and meaty, and the unsweetened baking chocolate is a secret ingredient that fills out the base of the flavor profile. The spices hit all the right notes - this recipe is easily my new favorite. I highly suggest making a big batch because everyone will be coming back for seconds!
Wild Boar Is One Of The Most Sustainable Meats Available
Our Southwestern wild boar roam the forests, foraging their natural diet. They love to eat berries, nuts, roots and tubers which give their meat its unique and delectable flavor profile. They’re trapped under the supervision of specialized veterinarians and butchered by a small scale, species specific facility. Just like all of our products, we care about where this meat comes from. Wild boar are actually an invasive species to North America, and their population continues to grow. They ruin crops and disrupt the growth of endangered plants in forests by digging in the soil. When we eat humanely trapped wild boar meat it helps to protect our food supply and forest ecosystems.
Expertly Butchered By Hand, Outstanding In Flavor
People are always asking us about the best ways to eat wild boar. If you’re used to eating pork, the nutty and delicious flavor of wild boar meat will blow your mind. It’s so much more flavorful and satisfying than conventional pork. Customers tell us all the time that they find themselves unable to go back to eating conventional pork after trying out this meat.
In addition to the unbeatable flavor, wild boar meat offers a multitude of health benefits that blow pork out of the water. It’s lower in total fat and calories while offering more omega 3 fatty acids, vitamins and minerals. We are big believers in the advantages of eating wild meat and the nutritional profile of wild boar is a perfect example of this. Our wild boar meat is unparalleled in flavor because we work with small-scale, species specific master butchers who know how to properly process this meat.
- 3 tablespoons bison tallow
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground oregano
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon chipotle powder
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 onions, chopped
- ½ jalapeno, finely chopped
- 3 pounds ground wild boar
- Two 28oz cans organic crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups bison bone broth
- 2 tablespoons masa harina
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 1 square of unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped
- Sour cream, chopped cilantro, lime wedges and shredded cheese for serving
- Heat the bison tallow in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add all of the powdered spices and dried oregano. Stir until the spices are activated and infusing into the tallow - they’ll become very fragrant. This should take approximately 1 minute.
- Add the garlic and onions to the pot. Stir to combine. Add in the jalapeno and cook for approximately 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the ground wild boar meat and cook until lightly browned. Then, add in the crushed tomatoes, bison bone broth, masa harina, coconut sugar and chopped baking chocolate. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for approximately 45 minutes.
- Serve with dollops of sour cream, chopped cilantro and shredded cheese as desired. Enjoy!
Don’t Hesitate To Reach Out To Our Helpful Team
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar and seafood.