Autumn Elk & Wild Boar Meatballs With Chili Cranberry Sauce
These elk & wild boar meatballs are served with a sweet and spicy cranberry sauce on top that’s delicious and festive. These make a festive appetizer or potluck item for fall or winter - they’re great for Thanksgiving, too! I love combining our ground meats for meatballs, burgers, meatloaf, you name it. You really can’t go wrong with any of them, but this time I chose our ground elk combined with ground wild boar for a robust flavor that compliments the sweet and spicy cranberry sauce perfectly.
Ethically Raised, Delicious Elk Meat
Our elk live completely free range, roaming on 20,000 to 100,000 acre ranches. We source from two locations, one being the Rocky Mountains of the United States. The other source that fit our strict quality standards was an elk ranch in the pristine mountain valleys of New Zealand. They wander as they please, grazing and foraging as they engage in all of their natural instinctive behaviors. As with all of our meat, these animals are never administered hormones, antibiotics or steroids of any kind. Elk is some of the most delicious and healthy meat you can eat, considered by many to be the most heart healthy meat in existence. Chefs love using our elk for its delicate flavor and outstanding tenderness.
Wild Boar Is One Of The Most Sustainable Meats Available
Our Southwestern wild boar roam the forests, foraging their natural diet. They love to eat berries, nuts, roots and tubers which give their meat its unique and delectable flavor profile. They’re trapped under the supervision of specialized veterinarians and butchered by a small scale, species specific facility. Just like all of our products, we care about where this meat comes from. Wild boar are actually an invasive species to North America, and their population continues to grow. They ruin crops and disrupt the growth of endangered plants in forests by digging in the soil. When we eat humanely trapped wild boar meat it helps to protect our food supply and forest ecosystems.
Expertly Butchered By Hand, Outstanding In Flavor
People are always asking us about the best ways to eat wild boar. If you’re used to eating pork, the nutty and delicious flavor of wild boar meat will blow your mind. It’s so much more flavorful and satisfying than conventional pork. Customers tell us all the time that they find themselves unable to go back to eating conventional pork after trying out this meat. In addition to the unbeatable flavor, wild boar meat offers a multitude of health benefits that blow pork out of the water. It’s lower in total fat and calories while offering more omega 3 fatty acids, vitamins and minerals. We are big believers in the advantages of eating wild meat and the nutritional profile of wild boar is a perfect example of this.
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup Japanese panko bread crumbs
- ⅓ cup minced fresh parsley
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound ground elk
- 1 pound ground wild boar
For the cranberry sauce:
- 1 can cranberry sauce with whole berries
- 1 12 oz bottle chili sauce of choice
- ½ tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine the lightly beaten eggs, bread crumbs, parsley, ketchup. Onion, coconut aminos and minced garlic in a large bowl. Add in the ground elk and ground wild boar meat. Combine just until mixed together, using your hands. Shape into 1 inch meatballs.
- Arrange the meatballs on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for approximately 12 minutes, or until cooked all the way through. Take care not to overcook (check them after 10 minutes). Transfer the meatballs to a pot or serving dish.
- While the meatballs are cooking, combine all of the cranberry sauce ingredients in a large pan over medium heat. Simmer the sauce for approximately 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour the sauce over the meatballs. Serve and enjoy immediately.
Don’t Hesitate To Reach Out To Our Helpful Team
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar and seafood.