Green Chile Mac & Cheese With Shredded Bison Short Ribs
Bison short ribs are one of my all time favorite cuts of meat, and they’re a team favorite here at Beck & Bulow. They’re an awesome choice to feed a crowd or to have lots of leftover meat to make all sorts of delicious meals. When cooked low and slow, this flavorful cut of meat becomes meltingly tender. Shredded short rib meat can become all sorts of yummy dinners. One of my favorite ways to repurpose it is by adding it to the top of old fashioned, homemade macaroni and cheese. For anyone living in New Mexico, green chiles are an essential part of the mac and cheese experience.
New Mexico Green Chiles & Quality Meat
Hatch green chiles are synonymous with New Mexico - you’ll even find them on our license plates. If you can’t find fresh hatch green chiles to roast, just use a can of chopped green chiles. Or, leave them out entirely if you prefer your mac and cheese without the spice. If you don’t have leftover short rib meat on hand, you could substitute pretty much any other cut. I find that a high quality barbecue sauce is key to this mac and cheese reaching its full potential. Choose your all time favorite and enjoy the delicious results.
Free Range Bison, Raised The Way Nature Intended
Our bison live free range on 20,000 beautiful acres here in New Mexico, or roam freely on our carefully selected partner ranches. They are pasture raised and never administered any amount of hormones, steroids or antibiotics. These are powerful, strong animals that live essentially wild with minimal handling. There were once 60 million bison roaming North America, and we hope to see their numbers increase back to even 1 million during our lifetime. By increasing the demand for ethically sourced bison meat, we can help to bolster their population. The more people that want to purchase this nourishing and nutrient dense meat, the more farmers will be encouraged to raise bison. This directly helps to increase the number of herds which assists in providing genetic diversity for the population.
- 1 lb leftover shredded bison short rib meat
- ½ cup good quality barbecue sauce of choice
- 3 ½ cups shredded cheese
- 2 cups whole milk
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ lb roasted hatch green chiles, diced (or canned)
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 pound macaroni noodles, cooked according to package directions
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Get out a large casserole dish and set aside. Measure the ½ cup barbecue sauce into a bowl and set on the counter to reach room temperature.
- Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat. Add in the flour one tablespoon at a time, whisking constantly until smooth. Pour the milk in slowly, continuing to whisk until it becomes thick and smooth.
- Add in the shredded cheese and chopped green chiles. Stir to combine. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Add the cheese sauce and cooked macaroni noodles into the casserole dish. Combine evenly together.
- Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the breadcrumbs to the skillet. Cook for a minute or two, stirring frequently, until they turn golden brown. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the leftover shredded short rib meat and barbecue sauce to the skillet, heating until warmed through. Set aside.
- Remove the macaroni and cheese from the oven. Add the breadcrumbs on top, followed by the short rib meat. Turn on the broiler.
- Broil for approximately 3 minutes, or until golden brown and slightly crispy on top.
Reach Out To Our Helpful Team
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar, pork and seafood.