Recipe: How To Make The Most Delicious Steak Diane
If you’ve never had steak Diane before, I can tell you one thing for sure - you’re going to love it. Slices of juicy, tender steak with a rich mushroom cream sauce spooned generously over the top, full of complex flavor. It’s seriously delicious and pretty fancy, too. The perfect recipe for impressing guests or to celebrate a special occasion. You can make this dish with any type of steak you want, but I chose our bison tender medallions. They’re the perfect candidate as a less pricey alternative to filet mignon, and they go perfectly with a heavy cream sauce since they’re naturally lean.
Although this would be completely mouthwatering cooked with filet or a ribeye, many people prefer to enjoy these prime cuts with little adornment in order to let their incredible flavor and texture shine through unobscured. We often sell out of the tender medallions, and many people have never heard of them. If you’re lucky enough to see them in stock, I highly suggest getting them while they’re available. Top sirloin or a strip steak would also be great options for this recipe. Or just go all out and try it with filet mignon! It’ll be so delicious, I promise you won’t regret it. Elk medallions would be another great choice. Cremini mushrooms are my first choice for this sauce due to their amazing flavor, but if you can’t find them (as is sometimes the case), just substitute regular button mushrooms or whatever other varieties you prefer.
Meat That’s Raised The Way Nature Intended
Our bison live free range on 20,000 beautiful acres here in New Mexico, or roam freely on our carefully selected partner ranches. They are pasture raised and never administered any amount of hormones, steroids or antibiotics. These are powerful, strong animals that live essentially wild with minimal handling. There were once 60 million bison roaming North America, and we hope to see their numbers increase back to even 1 million during our lifetime. By increasing the demand for ethically sourced bison meat, we can help to bolster their population. The more people that want to purchase this nourishing and nutrient dense meat, the more farmers will be encouraged to raise bison. This directly helps to increase the number of herds which assists in providing genetic diversity for the population.
- 1 ½ lbs bison tender medallion steaks (or beef), cut into slices approximately 1 inch thick
- ½ tablespoon bison tallow
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ pound sliced cremini mushrooms, or mushrooms of choice
- ¼ cup minced shallots
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon stone ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- In a small bowl, mix together the lemon zest, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Season the sliced steak generously all over, pressing it into the surface of each slice.
- Heat a ½ tablespoon of the bison tallow in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. When hot, add in the sliced steak. Cook, flipping the meat occasionally, until desired level of doneness is reached. We always recommend medium rare for bison. Remove the steak from the heat and set aside. Cover to keep warm.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and minced shallots to the skillet. Sauté until tender and fragrant. Add the two tablespoons of brandy into the pan, and cook for another minute or two, using a wooden spoon to scrape up any flavorful browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Stir the browned bits into the sauce. Add in the heavy cream, fresh lemon juice, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Continue to cook until the sauce begins to thicken a bit.
- Put the steak on plates to serve and top generously with the mushroom cream sauce. Enjoy immediately.
Our Friendly Team Is Here To Help
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar, pork and seafood.