Recipe: Warming Pumpkin Curry With Bison Sirloin Steak
This warming fall curry recipe is delicious made with either pumpkin or butternut squash, cut into bite sized chunks. Thinly sliced bison sirloin steak cooks quickly and is super tender and flavorful. The richly spiced curry is bursting with flavor and will have you feeling so cozy and satisfied. I recommend enjoying this dish curled up under a cozy blanket watching a heartwarming Christmas movie. Adjust the heat level by seasoning with red pepper flakes to taste, or leaving them out entirely if you prefer. Although any freshly steamed rice will do, jasmine or basmati are my favorites for curries as they’re so aromatic and the subtly sweet flavor goes perfectly with curry spices.
If You Like Beef, You’re Going To Love Bison
If you’ve never eaten bison before, you’re probably curious what it tastes like. The simple answer is that if you like the flavor of beef, you’re going to absolutely love bison. It’s very similar, but with a slightly sweeter taste. It’s naturally leaner and more tender. It has no “gamey” flavor whatsoever. Many customers tell us that once they try bison, they’re amazed at how delicious and versatile it is - any recipe that you’d typically use beef for, bison meat will taste great in.
Free Range Bison, Raised The Way Nature Intended
Our bison live free range on 20,000 beautiful acres here in New Mexico, or roam freely on our carefully selected partner ranches. They are pasture raised and never administered any amount of hormones, steroids or antibiotics. These are powerful, strong animals that live essentially wild with minimal handling. There were once 60 million bison roaming North America, and we hope to see their numbers increase back to even 1 million during our lifetime. By increasing the demand for ethically sourced bison meat, we can help to bolster their population. The more people that want to purchase this nourishing and nutrient dense meat, the more farmers will be encouraged to raise bison. This directly helps to increase the number of herds which assists in providing genetic diversity for the population.
- Approximately 1lb bison sirloin steak, sliced into thin slices (do this step while the meat is still slightly frozen for best results)
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 2 oz red curry paste
- 2 cups full fat coconut milk (canned), divided
- 1.5 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- Pinch paprika
- ½ fresh lime, juiced
- Sea salt
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- 2.5 cups fresh pumpkin or butternut squash, cubed
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Freshly steamed jasmine or basmati rice for serving
- Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- Thaw the sirloin steak. While it’s still a bit frozen, slice it thinly. Set aside on a plate at room temperature.
- Whisk together the curry paste, avocado oil and 4 tablespoons of the coconut milk. Set aside.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat. When hot, add in the curry & coconut milk mixture. Let it cook for a minute or so until it gets hot and bubbly.
- Add the sliced bison sirloin steak into the pan. Saute for about a minute, then add in the rest of the coconut milk, coconut sugar, fish sauce, pinch of paprika, and lime juice. Season with sea salt and crushed red pepper flakes as desired. Combine everything thoroughly, then add the pumpkin or butternut squash and stir again. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for approximately 12 minutes or until the squash is tender.
- In a small dish, whisk together the cold water and cornstarch. Pour the mixture into the skillet and whisk until the sauce thickens.
- Serve the curry over jasmine or basmati rice. Garnish with chopped cilantro and enjoy immediately.
Don’t Hesitate To Reach Out To Our Team
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar, pork and seafood.