Fresh Thai Crispy Wild Boar With Cucumber Lime Salad
I absolutely love Thai cuisine for all of its fresh flavors. The crisp, thinly sliced vegetables combined with the uniquely satisfying flavor profile of wild boar meat, salty sweet coconut aminos and brightly flavored mint, basil and cilantro combine to make this wildly delicious dinner recipe. Served over sweet and fragrant jasmine rice, this is a relatively simple meal to prepare that is a serious crowd pleaser. Just try it - you can thank me later.
A Delicious & Sustainable Choice
Our Southwestern wild boar roam the forests, foraging their natural diet. They love to eat berries, nuts, roots and tubers which give their meat its unique and delectable flavor profile. They’re trapped under the supervision of specialized veterinarians and butchered by a small scale, species specific facility.
Just like all of our products, we care about where this meat comes from. Wild boar are actually an invasive species to North America, and their population continues to grow. They ruin crops and disrupt the growth of endangered plants in forests by digging in the soil. When we eat humanely trapped wild boar meat it helps to protect our food supply and forest ecosystems.
Once You Go Wild Boar, You’ll Never Go Back
People are always asking us about the best ways to eat wild boar. If you’re used to eating pork, the nutty and delicious flavor of wild boar meat will blow your mind. It’s so much more flavorful and satisfying than conventional pork. Customers tell us all the time that they find themselves unable to go back to eating conventional pork after trying out this meat.
In addition to the unbeatable flavor, wild boar meat offers a multitude of health benefits that blow pork out of the water. It’s lower in total fat and calories while offering more omega 3 fatty acids, vitamins and minerals. We are big believers in the advantages of eating wild meat and the nutritional profile of wild boar is a perfect example of this.
Humanely Trapped and USDA Certified
Like all of our meat, it’s USDA certified and top of the line. These boars are humanely trapped and transported under the supervision of specially trained veterinarians. This ensures that they experience as little stress as possible. They’re entirely free range, and never administered any amount of antibiotics, hormones or steroids. This meat is as wild as it gets, and with all of the convenience of home delivery.
- ½ hot house cucumber, sliced super thin
- 1 shallot sliced super thin
- 2 red Thai chiles, thinly sliced and divided
- ½ cup fresh lime juice (4 limes)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons bison tallow
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 pound ground wild boar
- ¼ cup bison bone broth
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- 1 cup fresh basil
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- ½ cup fresh mint
- Steamed jasmine rice and lime slices for serving
- Steam the jasmine rice ahead of time in a rice cooker or on the stovetop. Set aside and keep warm.
- Combine the sliced cucumber, shallot and one of the chiles along with ¼ cup of the lime juice (two of the limes) in a bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper and mix thoroughly. Set aside to marinate.
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat the bison tallow over medium-high heat. Cook the garlic and the remaining Thai chile. After about 30 seconds, or when the garlic begins to become fragrant, add the ground wild boar meat. Season to taste with salt and pepper and break up any big chunks with a spoon. Cook until thoroughly browned and crispy, about 5-7 minutes. Press the meat down with the spoon into the pan to help it get more browned.
- Add the broth, coconut aminos, fish sauce and coconut sugar to the pan. Cook for about two minutes, scraping up any flavorful browned bits from the bottom of the pan. The liquid should be almost completely evaporated. Mix in the remaining lime juice. Set aside. In a separate bowl, combine the freshly chopped mint, basil and cilantro.
- Serve immediately by serving the crispy wild boar on top of steamed jasmine rice. Top with the chopped herbs and serve the cucumber lime salad on the side. Garnish with lime wedges. Enjoy your flavorful, delicious meal.
When you order meat from us, it arrives at your doorstep ready to store or enjoy. Immediately upon butchering, each cut is pressure sealed and flash frozen. We pack each order by hand in our Santa Fe warehouse and ship it to you in a reusable cooler with dry ice.
We’re proud to offer the most delicious, sustainable and nutritious meat available. Check out our website today for ground wild boar, bacon, tenderloin, frenched rib racks and more. Be sure to take a look at our other selections of meat, including bison, elk, beef, lamb and chicken.