Homemade Chinese Dumplings Made With Ground Wild Boar
For me, growing up in a non-Asian family, dumplings were one of those things that I adored having at restaurants, but felt like they must be complicated to make at home. It turns out they’re not so hard to make, and I think the process is incredibly satisfying and enjoyable.
This is also a perfect recipe for gifting portions to friends or family since it’s easy to make a lot of dumplings at one time. I’ve subbed Bragg’s Liquid Aminos for soy sauce, but either option would work just fine. The real game changer here is our Southwestern wild boar meat in place of traditional pork.
Also Read: Wild Boar Recipes: 7 Great Ways to Prepare and Eat Wild Boar
Wild Boar Is Extremely Sustainable & Delicious
Our Southwestern wild boar roam the forests, foraging their natural diet. They love to eat berries, nuts, roots and tubers which give their meat its unique and delectable flavor profile. They’re trapped under the supervision of specialized veterinarians and butchered by a small scale, species specific facility. Just like all of our products, we care about where this meat comes from.
Wild boar are actually an invasive species to North America, and their population continues to grow. They ruin crops and disrupt the growth of endangered plants in forests by digging in the soil. When we eat humanely trapped wild boar meat it helps to protect our food supply and forest ecosystems.
Once You Go Wild Boar, You’ll Never Go Back
People are always asking us about the best ways to eat wild boar. If you’re used to eating pork, the nutty and delicious flavor of wild boar meat will blow your mind. It’s so much more flavorful and satisfying than conventional pork. Customers tell us all the time that they find themselves unable to go back to eating conventional pork after trying out this meat.
In addition to the unbeatable flavor, wild boar meat offers a multitude of health benefits that blow pork out of the water. It’s lower in total fat and calories while offering more omega 3 fatty acids, vitamins and minerals. We are big believers in the advantages of eating wild meat and the nutritional profile of wild boar is a perfect example of this.
Also Read: 6 Delicious Wild Boar Bacon Recipes To Make At Home
- ½ cup Bragg’s Liquid Aminos (or high quality soy sauce)
- 1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped Chinese chives/garlic chives (other chives are fine to substitute)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- 1 pound ground wild boar
- Three cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons Chinese/garlic chives, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Bragg’s Liquid Aminos (or high quality soy sauce)
- 1 ½ tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 50 dumpling wrappers (there are recipes available to make your own, or you can get store bought)
- 1 cup bison tallow or avocado oil for frying
- 1 quart water + more as needed
Also Read: How To Make A Delicious Oven Roasted Wild Boar Rib Rack
- In a small bowl, combine the ½ cup of liquid aminos (or soy sauce), rice vinegar, 1 tablespoon of the chives, sesame seeds and Sriracha. Mix thoroughly and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the ground wild boar meat, minced garlic, the beaten egg, 2 tablespoons of chives, the 2 tablespoons of liquid aminos or soy sauce, sesame oil, and minced ginger. Combine thoroughly.
- Lightly flour a work surface. Place a dumpling wrapper on the surface and spoon about a tablespoon of the meat mixture into the center. Wet your fingers with some water to wet the edge of the dumpling wrapper. Fold over in half and crimp the edge to seal, forming little packets. Repeat with the rest of the dumpling wrappers until the filling is gone.
- Heat 1 or two tablespoons of bison tallow or avocado oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. In batches of 8-10 at a time, add the dumplings to the pan and cook until golden brown (about two minutes per side). Then, with the same batch of dumplings, pour 1 cup of water into the skillet. Cover. Cook for approximately 5 minutes, or until the dumplings are tender and the meat is cooked. Repeat these two steps for each batch of dumplings until they’re all cooked. Serve with the sauce mixture on the side for dipping.
Also Read: Bacon History: From Ancient Wild Boar To Bacon Ice Cream
Our Team Is Always Here To Help
When you order meat from us, it arrives at your doorstep ready to store or enjoy. Immediately upon butchering, each cut is pressure sealed and flash frozen. We pack each order by hand in our Santa Fe warehouse and ship it to you in a reusable cooler with dry ice. We’re proud to offer the most delicious, sustainable and nutritious meat available.
Check out our website today for ground wild boar, bacon, tenderloin, frenched rib racks and more. Be sure to take a look at our other selections of meat, including bison, elk, beef, lamb and chicken.