Pan Fried Wild Boar Shoulder Cutlets With Fresh Salad
This combination of pan fried wild boar shoulder cutlets with a fresh salad is the perfect balance of rich, succulent meat paired with light, cooling greens. I recommend preparing your salad out of whatever is fresh and in season in your area. I love going to the farmers market each week and preparing my salads based on which items look the most delicious.
Pair with a light dressing, something citrusy or herbal is perfect for hot summer days. The mouthwatering breaded coating gives these pan fried cutlets a delectable texture, pounded thin for perfectly even cooking and optimal tenderness.
Fully Wild Boar That Roam The Forests
Our Southwestern wild boar roam the forests, foraging their natural diet. They love to eat berries, nuts, roots and tubers which give their meat its unique and delectable flavor profile. They’re trapped under the supervision of specialized veterinarians and butchered by a small scale, species specific facility. Just like all of our products, we care about where this meat comes from.
Wild boar are actually an invasive species to North America, and their population continues to grow. They ruin crops and disrupt the growth of endangered plants in forests by digging in the soil. When we eat humanely trapped wild boar meat it helps to protect our food supply and forest ecosystems.
The Richest, Most Delicious Flavor
People are always asking us about the best ways to eat wild boar. If you’re used to eating pork, the nutty and delicious flavor of wild boar meat will blow your mind. It’s so much more flavorful and satisfying than conventional pork. Customers tell us all the time that they find themselves unable to go back to eating conventional pork after trying out this meat.
In addition to the unbeatable flavor, wild boar meat offers a multitude of health benefits that blow pork out of the water. It’s lower in total fat and calories while offering more omega 3 fatty acids, vitamins and minerals. We are big believers in the advantages of eating wild meat and the nutritional profile of wild boar is a perfect example of this.
Humanely Trapped By Veterinarians
Like all of our meat, it’s USDA certified and top of the line. These boars are humanely trapped and transported under the supervision of specially trained veterinarians. This ensures that they experience as little stress as possible. They’re entirely free range, and never administered any amount of antibiotics, hormones or steroids. This meat is as wild as it gets, and with all of the convenience of home delivery.
- 1 ½ pounds boneless wild boar shoulder roast (about ¼ of the whole roast) cut into four steaks
- ¾ cup flour
- 2 eggs, set out before cooking to reach room temperature
- 1 ½ cups dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ cup avocado oil, bison tallow or ghee
- Salad of choice to serve on the side
- Place the wild boar shoulder steaks in between two layers of plastic wrap. Pound to about ¼ inch thick. Set aside.
- Place the flour in a shallow bowl or dish. In another bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Combine the dried breadcrumbs with the cornstarch in a third bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Season the cutlets generously with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Coat them one at a time in flour, shaking off any excess. Then, coat each steak in the eggs. Finally, coat with the breadcrumb and cornstarch mixture. Press it into the wild boar steaks gently with your fingers.
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat the bison tallow, ghee or avocado oil over medium-high heat. Cook the wild boar cutlets for about three minutes on each side, or until they’re golden brown and cooked completely through. Set aside on paper towels or a wire rack. Season to taste with sea salt.
- Assemble the salad while the wild boar meat rests. Serve and enjoy.
When you order meat from us, it arrives at your doorstep ready to store or enjoy. Immediately upon butchering, each cut is pressure sealed and flash frozen. We pack each order by hand in our Santa Fe warehouse and ship it to you in a reusable cooler with dry ice.
We’re proud to offer the most delicious, sustainable and nutritious meat available. Check out our website today for wild boar bacon, tenderloin, ground meat and frenched rib racks. Be sure to take a look at our other selections of meat, including bison, elk, beef, lamb and chicken.