Ragu is a meat-based sauce that’s popular in traditional Italian cuisine. Many of our Italian customers rave about our wild boar, saying that it’s like what they’re used to having back home in Italy. This recipe uses wild boar shoulder cooked to tender perfection and then shredded to incorporate perfectly into a richly flavored tomato based sauce. Make sure not to skip the Parmesan cheese and chopped fresh basil on top for the full experience. When I have pasta, I like to go all out and make it really good. This recipe definitely fits the bill!
A Delicious & Sustainable Meat Choice
Our Southwestern wild boar roam the forests, foraging their natural diet. They love to eat berries, nuts, roots and tubers which give their meat its unique and delectable flavor profile. They’re trapped under the supervision of specialized veterinarians and butchered by a small scale, species specific facility. Just like all of our products, we care about where this meat comes from. Wild boar are actually an invasive species to North America, and their population continues to grow. They ruin crops and disrupt the growth of endangered plants in forests by digging in the soil. When we eat humanely trapped wild boar meat it helps to protect our food supply and forest ecosystems.
Expertly Butchered For Exceptional Meat
People are always asking us about the best ways to eat wild boar. If you’re used to eating pork, the nutty and delicious flavor of wild boar meat will blow your mind. It’s so much more flavorful and satisfying than conventional pork. Customers tell us all the time that they find themselves unable to go back to eating conventional pork after trying out this meat.
In addition to the unbeatable flavor, wild boar meat offers a multitude of health benefits that blow pork out of the water. It’s lower in total fat and calories while offering more omega 3 fatty acids, vitamins and minerals. We are big believers in the advantages of eating wild meat and the nutritional profile of wild boar is a perfect example of this. Our wild boar meat is unparalleled in flavor because we work with small-scale, species specific master butchers who know how to properly process this meat.
- Approximately 2 lbs wild boar shoulder roast
- 3 tablespoons bison tallow or avocado oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 large cloves of garlic, crushed and peeled
- 2 parsnips, diced
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons sea salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons black pepper, divided
- ½ cup bison bone broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 16 oz pappardelle pasta, cooked
- Grated Parmesan cheese & chopped fresh basil for serving
- Let the thawed wild boar shoulder sit at room temperature for approximately 15 minutes before cooking. Cut it into strips about 1-2 inches in size. Season the meat on all sides with half of the salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of bison tallow or avocado oil in a large dutch oven over medium high heat. Sear the meat in batches. When all the meat is browned, remove from the heat and set aside.
- Add the rest of the bison tallow or avocado oil to the pot and reduce the heat to medium. Cook the onions for a minute or two, then add in the garlic and parsnips. Cook until tender.
- Pour half of the red wine into the pot. Stir with a wooden spoon, scraping along the bottom to incorporate any flavorful browned bits. Pour in the rest of the wine along with the can of crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, dried oregano, bay leaves, and bison bone broth. Season with the remaining salt and pepper. Add in the browned wild boar meat. Stir to combine. Reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook for approximately 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- When the meat is finished cooking it should be fork tender. Remove the meat from the pot and shred, then put it back in and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook for 10-15 more minutes. Season with more salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over top of the cooked pasta, garnished with Parmesan & chopped fresh basil. Enjoy!
Our Team Is Here To Help
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar, pork and seafood.