Melt In Your Mouth Elk Short Ribs In the Instant Pot
I believe that short ribs are one of the most underrated cuts of meat out there. When they’re slow cooked, they absolutely melt in your mouth, falling off the bone and bursting with flavor. Our team loves having them for gatherings of all kinds. The best part is that with an Instant Pot or slow cooker, you can put them in anytime and they pretty much prepare themselves. These slow cooked elk short ribs are a huge crowd pleaser, and with the help of an Instant Pot can be ready in only an hour or two. Or, cook them overnight or during the day with a slow cooker. They’re great prepared a night in advance to give the flavors a chance to meld together.
Ethically Raised, Delicious Elk Meat
Our elk live completely free range, roaming on 20,000 to 100,000 acre ranches. We source from two locations, one being the Rocky Mountains of the United States. The other source that fit our strict quality standards was an elk ranch in the pristine mountain valleys of New Zealand. They wander as they please, grazing and foraging as they engage in all of their natural instinctive behaviors. As with all of our meat, these animals are never administered hormones, antibiotics or steroids of any kind. Elk is some of the most delicious and healthy meat you can eat, considered by many to be the most heart healthy meat in existence. Chefs love using our elk for its delicate flavor and outstanding tenderness.
Our Best Selling Wild Boar Bacon
If you’ve never tried our wild boar bacon before, get ready to be obsessed. Bacon is already known for being one of the most delicious foods in existence. Our wild boars roam the forests of the Southwest, foraging their natural preferred diet of roots, nuts, berries and tubers. This gives our wild boar meat a nutty, complex flavor profile that has so much depth and dimension compared to conventional pork bacon. It’s also slightly less greasy than conventional bacon and contains more vitamins and minerals.
- 3 slices wild boar bacon, chopped
- 1 teaspoon bison tallow
- 5-6 pounds elk short ribs
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large shallots, quartered
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 star anise pods
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups bison bone broth
- Season the ribs on all sides with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
- Turn the Instant Pot on to the “Sauté” function. When it’s hot, add the chopped wild boar bacon and cook for approximately 4 minutes. Remove the bacon and set aside.
- Add the teaspoon of bison tallow to the Instant Pot and melt in with the bacon fat.
- Work in batches, searing the elk ribs on all sides (about 4 minutes on each side). Transfer the seared ribs to a plate.
- Add the shallots, red pepper flakes and garlic to the Instant Pot. Cook until softened and fragrant, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the star anise pod, thyme sprigs and tomato paste to the pot. Stir to combine and cook for approximately 1 minute.
- Add the apple cider vinegar to the pot. Bring to a simmer and scrape the flavorful browned bits from the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon to mix in.
- Turn off the “Sauté” function. Add the Worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar, coconut sugar, bone broth, short ribs and the cooked wild boar bacon. Season with sea salt. Close the Instant Pot and turn on the “Pressure Cook” function on High for 45 minutes.
- Use the natural release on the Instant Pot for 15 minutes, then switch to the quick release. When the quick release completes, open the Instant Pot. Discard the sprigs of thyme and star anise pod.
- Enjoy the ribs immediately, or let the flavors meld overnight and serve the next day. If desired, drizzle some of the cooking liquid over the top for serving.
Don’t Hesitate To Reach Out To Our Team For Support
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar and seafood.