Recipe: Wild Boar, Tart Apple & Cranberry Stuffing
This wild boar stuffing is what wintertime dreams are made of. The sweet tart combination of crisp green apples and dried cranberries make this seasonal delight a total crowd pleaser. Our ground wild boar has an amazing, complex flavor profile that I love using in a huge variety of recipes. This stuffing is super easy to make and is the perfect accompaniment to any dinner, but fancy enough for Christmas dinner or any other special wintertime occasion. It would also go great with any of our other ground meats, although personally I particularly love it with wild boar.
A Delicious & Sustainable Meat Choice
Our Southwestern wild boar roam the forests, foraging their natural diet. They love to eat berries, nuts, roots and tubers which give their meat its unique and delectable flavor profile. They’re trapped under the supervision of specialized veterinarians and butchered by a small scale, species specific facility. Just like all of our products, we care about where this meat comes from. Wild boar are actually an invasive species to North America, and their population continues to grow. They ruin crops and disrupt the growth of endangered plants in forests by digging in the soil. When we eat humanely trapped wild boar meat it helps to protect our food supply and forest ecosystems.
Expertly Butchered For Exceptional Meat
People are always asking us about the best ways to eat wild boar. If you’re used to eating pork, the nutty and delicious flavor of wild boar meat will blow your mind. It’s so much more flavorful and satisfying than conventional pork. Customers tell us all the time that they find themselves unable to go back to eating conventional pork after trying out this meat.
In addition to the unbeatable flavor, wild boar meat offers a multitude of health benefits that blow pork out of the water. It’s lower in total fat and calories while offering more omega 3 fatty acids, vitamins and minerals. We are big believers in the advantages of eating wild meat and the nutritional profile of wild boar is a perfect example of this. Our wild boar meat is unparalleled in flavor because we work with small-scale, species specific master butchers who know how to properly process this meat.
- 1 pound ground wild boar
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely minced fresh sage leaves
- Sea salt
- Red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 large shallots, finely chopped
- 12 oz dried bread cubes, or equivalent amount of chopped dried bread
- 2 ½ cups bison bone broth
- 2 cups diced green apples
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Let the ground wild boar meat come to room temperature for 15-20 minutes before cooking.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the meat with the garlic powder, onion powder, about ½ teaspoon of minced sage, along with about ½ teaspoon sea salt and red pepper flakes to taste. Mix just until combined, using your hands.
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat a little bison tallow or avocado oil until hot. Add in the ground wild boar mixture and cook for approximately 8 minutes until browned. Break the meat apart with a wooden spoon while cooking. Set the cooked meat mixture aside in a large bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Add the two tablespoons of butter to the cast iron skillet. Add the minced shallots and cook until fragrant and tender. Add the cooked shallots into the meat mixture and combine. Then mix in the chopped dried bread, bison bone broth, diced apples, cranberries, garlic powder, the remaining onion powder and sage, and about a teaspoon of sea salt.
- Grease a baking dish. Place the stuffing mixture in the dish and loosely cover with foil. Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 30 minutes, or until heated completely through. Serve and enjoy!
Reach Out To Our Helpful Team
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar and seafood.