Wild Boar Tenderloin With Herbs & Stone Ground Mustard
This wild boar tenderloin recipe keeps it simple with delicious herbs, stone ground mustard and a touch of sweetness for a caramelized, crispy top layer at the end. I always say that wild boar tenderloin is one of the hidden gems of the meats we carry. If you’ve never tried wild boar before, this is a great place to start (along with wild boar bacon). The flavor combination for the rub is right on target and creates a mouthwatering accompaniment to the wild boar. Pairs perfectly with crispy, herbed potatoes or other fall root vegetables.
Choosing Naturally Sustainable Meats
Our Southwestern wild boar roam the forests, foraging their natural diet. They love to eat berries, nuts, roots and tubers which give their meat its unique and delectable flavor profile. They’re trapped under the supervision of specialized veterinarians and butchered by a small scale, species specific facility. Just like all of our products, we care about where this meat comes from. Wild boar are actually an invasive species to North America, and their population continues to grow. They ruin crops and disrupt the growth of endangered plants in forests by digging in the soil. When we eat humanely trapped wild boar meat it helps to protect our food supply and forest ecosystems.
Expertly Butchered For Optimal Flavor
People are always asking us about the best ways to eat wild boar. If you’re used to eating pork, the nutty and delicious flavor of wild boar meat will blow your mind. It’s so much more flavorful and satisfying than conventional pork. Customers tell us all the time that they find themselves unable to go back to eating conventional pork after trying out this meat.
In addition to the unbeatable flavor, wild boar meat offers a multitude of health benefits that blow pork out of the water. It’s lower in total fat and calories while offering more omega 3 fatty acids, vitamins and minerals. We are big believers in the advantages of eating wild meat and the nutritional profile of wild boar is a perfect example of this. Our wild boar meat is unparalleled in flavor because we work with small-scale, species specific master butchers who know how to properly process this meat.
- About 3 pounds of wild boar tenderloin, thawed
- 3 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons stone ground or other high quality mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Pat the wild boar tenderloins gently dry with a paper towel and set aside.
- Prepare a baking sheet with a wire rack. Line with aluminum foil if desired for easier cleanup.
- If desired, tie the tenderloins with kitchen twine to make them an even thickness all over. This will help them to cook more evenly. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the minced garlic, stone ground mustard, chopped herbs, a generous amount of sea salt, and freshly ground back pepper to taste. Combine thoroughly. Rub the mixture evenly all over the wild boar tenderloins. Bake for about 25 minutes, then flip and bake for another 15-20 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads an internal temperature of 145 degrees Fahrenheit.
- When the tenderloin comes out of the oven, melt the three tablespoons of butter and whisk in the tablespoon of coconut sugar. Brush the mixture on top of the wild boar meat. Turn the broiler on high and put the tenderloin back in for a couple minutes to form a caramelized, crispy top layer. Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Slice against the grain to serve. Enjoy!
Our Team Is Here To Support You
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised bison, elk, wild boar, lamb, grass fed beef, poultry and seafood.