Super Quick & Easy Lasagna With Bison And Wild Boar
Lasagna is definitely one of my favorite foods, but I hardly ever make it because it’s time consuming. This recipe is the perfect easy, quick way to make lasagna - the secret is using pre made cheese raviolis instead of layers of lasagna noodles. I like to use a combination of ground bison and ground wild boar meat. The flavors are so good together and the fattier wild boar perfectly complements the lean and tender bison meat. You can whip this up as a quick dinner and enjoy the delicious results in about an hour total (and around 40 minutes are hands off time in the oven). If you don’t have bison broth on hand, just substitute water. It’ll still turn out delicious!
Free Range Bison That Roam Our Beautiful Ranch
Our bison live free range on 20,000 beautiful acres here in New Mexico, or roam freely on our carefully selected partner ranches. They are pasture raised and never administered any amount of hormones, steroids or antibiotics. These are powerful, strong animals that live essentially wild with minimal handling. There were once 60 million bison roaming North America, and we hope to see their numbers increase back to even 1 million during our lifetime. By increasing the demand for ethically sourced bison meat, we can help to bolster their population. The more people that want to purchase this nourishing and nutrient dense meat, the more farmers will be encouraged to raise bison. This directly helps to increase the number of herds which assists in providing genetic diversity for the population.
A Delicious & Sustainable Meat Choice
Our Southwestern wild boar roam the forests, foraging their natural diet. They love to eat berries, nuts, roots and tubers which give their meat its unique and delectable flavor profile. They’re trapped under the supervision of specialized veterinarians and butchered by a small scale, species specific facility. Just like all of our products, we care about where this meat comes from. Wild boar are actually an invasive species to North America, and their population continues to grow. They ruin crops and disrupt the growth of endangered plants in forests by digging in the soil. When we eat humanely trapped wild boar meat it helps to protect our food supply and forest ecosystems.
- 1 pound ground bison
- 1 pound ground wild boar
- 1 ¼ tablespoons minced garlic
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 jar preferred pasta sauce
- 1 ¾ cups bison bone broth
- 1 package pre-made cheese ravioli
- 1 ¼ cup shredded Italian cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare a 9x13 glass baking dish and set aside.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. When hot, add in the ground bison, ground wild boar and minced garlic. Cook for approximately 8 minutes, breaking the ground meat apart into crumbles as it cooks. Pour off the fat and return the meat to the skillet.
- Add the sea salt, freshly ground black pepper and nutmeg to the cooked meat. Stir to combine, then pour in the jar of pasta sauce along with the 1 ¾ cups bone broth. Bring to a boil and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add a layer of cheese ravioli to the bottom of the glass baking pan. Add in half the meat mixture and sprinkle on half of the cheese. Add another layer of ravioli and repeat. Cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to bake for approximately 20 more minutes, or until the ravioli is cooked through.
- Let rest for 5-10 minutes before serving. Serve garnished with chopped fresh basil if desired.
The Beck & Bulow Team Is Here To Help
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar, pork and seafood.