Recipe: Wild Blue Mexican Shrimp & Polenta Skillet Dinner
It’s common to associate eating shrimp and other seafood with summer, but there’s lots of ways to create warm and hearty meals for cooler weather with these delicious ingredients. Simply pair the seafood with filling, warming and seasonal foods. This baked polenta with wild blue Mexican shrimp, Grana Padano cheese and juicy cherry tomatoes create a mouthwatering dish that’s easy to whip up in no time. It’s a flavorful take on classic Southern shrimp and grits that makes a delightful evening meal. The best part is, the entire thing is prepared in a cast iron skillet making for minimal clean up and maximum visual appeal.
Also Read: Louisiana Jambalaya With Chicken & Mexican Blue Shrimp
A Delicious Combination Of Simple Ingredients
Grana Padano cheese is similar in flavor to Parmesan, but mixes more smoothly into other ingredients when melted. It’s mild, nutty and the perfect complement to a light protein like shrimp. It’s excellent for cooking and I highly recommend trying it out if you’ve never used it before. If you’re not able to find it, feel free to substitute Parmesan or whatever cheese you prefer. Take advantage of the end of the tomato growing season and use locally grown cherry tomatoes if possible! The taste is well worth it. Our wild blue Mexican shrimp are deveined by hand, making them much easier to prepare. They’re very easy to peel and are always a great choice for a quick weeknight dinner.
Fair Trade Certified Wild Blue Mexican Shrimp
Wild blue Mexican shrimp are renowned for the excellent, sweet flavor and tender yet crisp texture. They’re large in size and have a beautiful blue hue when uncooked. They are caught using the most sustainable methods in existence for harvesting shrimp. Fishermen use small-scale sailboats and an artisanal technique known as suripera. This method involves using the wind and tides to skillfully drift a highly selective net, resulting in the lowest fuel consumption and bycatch rates in the world.
Also Read: Wild Blue Mexican Shrimp With Sweet Garlic & Ginger Sauce
Bycatch is the term for marine animals, like dolphins, turtles and others, who are harmed in the process of fishing for seafood. Additionally, these are the only Fair Trade certified shrimp on the planet. It’s never been more important than it is now to choose seafood options that are conscious of environmental impact. Our sources go above and beyond industry standards taking care every step of the way to protect the oceans, the wildlife and their employees. Shrimp are one of the most sustainable proteins you can eat, and these wild blue Mexican shrimp are outstanding in every way.
- 2 cups organic whole milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup polenta
- ¾ cup grated Grana Padano cheese
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt + more to taste
- 1 pound Wild Blue Mexican Shrimp, peeled
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
Also Read: Wild Blue Mexican Shrimp Scampi With Asiago Cheese
- Set up the oven with an oven rack positioned near the top of the oven. Preheat the broiler.
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat the milk and water over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to medium. Add the polenta and whisk to combine. Cook for approximately 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until the texture becomes thick and creamy.
- Add in the Grana Padano cheese, freshly ground black pepper, 3 tablespoons of the melted butter and ½ teaspoon of sea salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine the peeled shrimp, cherry tomatoes, paprika, butter and garlic salt. Spread the mixture over the polenta in the skillet.
- Move the skillet to the oven and broil for 3-4 minutes, or until the shrimp are cooked through.
- Garnish with chopped green onions and serve immediately.
The Beck & Bulow Team Is Here To Help
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Also Read: Seafood Posole With Wild Blue Mexican Shrimp & Sea Scallops
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar and seafood.