Thick & Hearty Southwestern Texas Style Spicy Elk Chili
This southwestern style elk chili is spicy, meaty and full of mouthwatering flavor. Ground elk meat is one of my favorite meats to cook with because it’s so tender and flavorful. I love using it for burgers, meatloaf, meatballs, you name it… and of course, chili. My number one tip for cooking with elk is not to overcook it. This naturally lean meat will cook more quickly than beef, so be mindful and don’t get distracted while it’s browning. Elk is considered one of the most heart healthy meats and is loaded with vitamins, minerals and protein. You are what you eat, and these are robust, adaptable and resilient animals that live in harmony with nature.
This stew has a nice spicy kick that you can easily adjust according to taste preferences. If you like it hot, add in the optional cayenne pepper in addition to the green chile powder or red pepper flakes. Chopped, roasted green and/or red chiles would be delicious here as well. Here in New Mexico, we refer to anything with both green and red chiles as “Christmas” style - no matter the time of year. Absolutely delicious all on its own, or serve topped with chopped cilantro, sour cream and cheese as desired. This versatile meal is quick to make and extremely satisfying. I think chili is one of my all time favorite meals, and this one doesn’t mess around with beans - it’s just straight up spicy, meaty goodness. Enjoy it on its own or as a topping on burgers, hot dogs or anything else you can think of.
Ethically Raised, Healthy & Delicious Elk Meat
Our elk live completely free range, roaming on 20,000 to 100,000 acre ranches. We source from two locations, one being the Rocky Mountains of the United States. The other source that fit our strict quality standards was an elk ranch in the pristine mountain valleys of New Zealand. They wander as they please, grazing and foraging as they engage in all of their natural instinctive behaviors. As with all of our meat, these animals are never administered hormones, antibiotics or steroids of any kind. Elk is some of the most delicious and healthy meat you can eat, considered by many to be the most heart healthy meat in existence. Chefs love using our elk for its delicate flavor and outstanding tenderness.
- 2 pounds ground elk
- 1 teaspoon bison tallow
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons green chile powder or red pepper flakes to taste
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 ¾ cups bison bone broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons masa harina
- Sour cream and/or cheese for garnish if desired
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add in the ground elk and cook for 7-8 minutes or just until browned, breaking the meat up with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Add the bison tallow to the skillet. When it’s hot, add in the diced onion. Cook until tender, fragrant and golden brown.
- Put the cooked ground elk back into the skillet with the onions. Add in the minced garlic, green chile powder, cumin powder, cayenne pepper (if using) and sea salt as desired. Combine thoroughly.
- Pour in the bison bone broth, can of diced tomatoes and the can of tomato paste. Cook at a simmer, covered, for about an hour until the chili thickens. Then, stir in the masa harina which will cause it to thicken more. If it becomes too thick, simply add a little water. When desired consistency is reached, remove from the heat and serve, garnished as desired.
Don’t Hesitate To Reach Out To Our Team
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar, pork and seafood.