The Italian term “osso buco” refers to the leg shanks of the animal, cut horizontally across the bone so that the rich marrow is exposed in each shank. These cuts of meat contain more connective tissue due to being a heavily used muscle of the animal, but when cooked low and slow turn out meltingly tender and delicious. They’re full of amazing meaty flavor and the marrow further adds to the richness as it melts into the broth. It’s easy to cook and so pleasurable to eat, making it one of my absolute favorite cuts of meat.
Deliciously Flavored, Slow Cooked Elk
There’s many ways to cook and flavor osso buco, and this recipe keeps it simple yet full of savory goodness with rich bone broth, flavorful shallots, sage and the slight fruity flavor of a good quality German wheat beer. The beauty of slow cooker items is the small amount of effort involved in creating an awesome meal, so kick back, relax and enjoy the tasty results – the most involved part of this recipe is making the gravy, which is well worth the effort. This recipe would be equally delicious made with our bison or beef leg shanks.
Ethically Raised, Healthy & Delicious Meat
Our elk live completely free range, roaming on 20,000 to 100,000 acre ranches. We source from two locations, one being the Rocky Mountains of the United States. The other source that fit our strict quality standards was an elk ranch in the pristine mountain valleys of New Zealand. They wander as they please, grazing and foraging as they engage in all of their natural instinctive behaviors. As with all of our meat, these animals are never administered hormones, antibiotics or steroids of any kind. Elk is some of the most delicious and healthy meat you can eat, considered by many to be the most heart healthy meat in existence. Chefs love using our elk for its delicate flavor and outstanding tenderness.
- 1.5 lbs elk osso buco (leg shanks)
- 1 bottle of German wheat beer
- 2 cups bison bone broth
- 4 tablespoons bison tallow
- 1-2 shallots, sliced thin
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage
- ½ cup flour + 2 tablespoons
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Heat 2 tablespoons of bison tallow in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Sauté the sliced shallots and garlic until they become tender and fragrant. Remove them from the pot and set aside.
- Place the ½ cup of flour in a bowl. Coat each piece of leg shank in the flour, shaking off the excess.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of bison tallow to the Dutch oven. When it’s hot, sear the leg shanks on all sides. Remove them from the heat and set aside.
- Turn an Instant Pot to the “Slow Cooker” setting or a crockpot to the “Low” setting.
- Add the leg shanks, shallots, garlic, sage, bone broth and wheat beer. If necessary, add more broth or water to cover all the meat.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours. If using the Instant Pot, check after 4-6 hours.
- Just before removing the leg shanks from the slow cooker, make the gravy. Melt the 2 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan over low heat. Slowly whisk in the 2 tablespoons of flour. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently, and then slowly pour in 2 cups of broth from the slow cooker or Instant Pot, whisking constantly. Bring to a simmer, continuing to whisk, until the gravy is thick and smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove the elk from the slow cooker and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve topped with gravy.
Our Friendly Team Is Here To Support You
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar and seafood.