Osso buco is a classic Italian dish, originating from Milan in the 19th century. The name translates to “bone with a hole”. Traditionally cooked with veal shanks, these cuts are from the upper part of the leg. The crosswise cuts expose the luscious marrow inside the bones. They’re incredibly flavorful but can be tough if not prepared properly. Because the leg shanks are heavily used muscles, this cut tends to be chewy and requires slow cooking methods to reveal a tender texture. When you order meat online from Beck & Bulow, you can choose between premium quality elk, grass-fed beef or bison shanks.
Order Fresh, Flavorful & Ethically Sourced Meat Online
What most people don’t know is that elk leg shanks are especially delectable. It has a pronounced, clean and slightly sweet flavor. The texture is extremely succulent and tender – in many cases it doesn’t require marinating where other meats do. It’s also far less gamey than venison. The osso buco is one of the most popular cuts of elk meat. When it’s cooked low and slow for 3 or more hours, the tender meat falls right off the bone. The marrow from the bones melts into the pot during cooking and adds incredible flavor.
Beck & Bulow: Your Source For Rocky Mountain Elk Meat
Our elk is raised on 20,000 – 100,000 acre ranches in the northern Rocky Mountains where they roam essentially wild. Like all our other meat, this elk is free-range, grass-fed & grass-finished, and never administered hormones, steroids or antibiotics. These animals live the way nature intended. Elk that engage in all of their instinctive behaviors and exist in harmony with nature produce delicious and truly nourishing meat.
Elk Osso Buco
- 6 Elk Osso Buco (leg shanks)
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 New Mexico green chile (optional)
- 3 cups crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups red cooking wine
- 2 cups bison bone broth
- ½ cup flour
- Sea salt and black pepper
- ¼ cup bison tallow
- 2 bay leaves
To make the bone broth, bring bones to a boil in a large pot. Turn the heat down to a simmer and cover. The longer you let the broth simmer, the more nutrients are extracted from the bones. Six to eight hours is recommended. Enjoy on its own or added into recipes like this one. We provide beyond organic meat & bones online available for delivery.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Season elk shanks with salt and pepper generously on both sides. Then coat shanks lightly with flour on both sides, shaking off excess. Put aside on a plate.
- Heat a large cast iron pan or dutch oven over medium high heat. Add the bison tallow. Brown the elk shanks in the tallow, allowing a dark crust to develop before flipping to the other side. Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, green chile and red wine to the pan. After the wine comes to a boil, add in the tomatoes, bison bone broth and bay leaves. Cover with an oven-safe lid and remove from heat.
- Bake the covered dish in the oven for 3-4 hours. Check every hour while braising. Spoon sauce over the meat at the end. When you order elk meat online from Beck & Bulow, you’ll love the difference you can taste and feel.
Order Online For Convenient Delivery Straight To Your Door
Although it requires some patience, this is one of those dishes that really takes on a new level of deliciousness once all the flavors have a chance to meld together. For best results, let the osso buco cool in the pot and then refrigerate overnight. Reheat before serving the next day. Serve plain or with a starch of your choice. Risotto or rice are classic choices, but potatoes are great too. Don’t forget to spoon the marrow out of the center of the bones! It’s extremely tasty and we especially enjoy it spread over some crusty bread. Each piece of meat you purchase from us is hand cut by local butchers with precision and expertise.
Beck & Bulow: The Premium Meat Delivery Service
At Beck & Bulow, we’re proud to offer our premium grass-fed meat for online order and delivery. Our meat is the most delicious, high-quality and truly nourishing for the body. Our impeccable sourcing means that the meat we offer is raised wild, or as close to it as possible. Check out our selections of elk, bison, lamb, grass-fed beef, wild boar and chicken today.