Homemade Pot Stickers With Chinese Five Spice Ground Elk
Every culture around the world has some form of dough-wrapped savory treats, and pot stickers are one variety that I love. They have a spiced meat and cabbage filling wrapped in a thin and slightly crispy, golden brown wonton wrapper. These pot stickers are made with our ground elk meat. The tender texture of the elk is so delicious in this recipe. Chinese five spice, ginger, garlic and red pepper along with sweet and savory coconut aminos give the meat a complex and delicious Asian flavor.
Also Read: Traditional Cabbage Rolls With Elk And Wild Boar Bacon
When it comes to pot stickers, dipping sauce is key. More coconut aminos or soy sauce will certainly do the trick. Sweet chili sauce is another delicious choice, or whatever Asian style dipping sauce you prefer. Serve these pot stickers as an appetizer, side dish or main course. They go great with steamed vegetables, soup, rice, etc. They’re so satisfying and a real crowd pleaser.
Elk That Are Raised By Nature
Our elk live completely free range, roaming on 20,000 to 100,000 acre ranches. We source from two locations, one being the Rocky Mountains of the United States. The other source that fit our strict quality standards was an elk ranch in the pristine mountain valleys of New Zealand. They wander as they please, grazing and foraging as they engage in all of their natural instinctive behaviors. As with all of our meat, these animals are never administered hormones, antibiotics or steroids of any kind. Elk is some of the most delicious and healthy meat you can eat, considered by many to be the most heart healthy meat in existence. Chefs love using our elk for its delicate flavor and outstanding tenderness.
Also Read: Slow Cooked Elk Osso Buco With Beer, Sage & Shallots
For the meat:
- 1 pound ground elk meat
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos (or use soy sauce and add some coconut sugar or honey)
- 1 teaspoon mirin
- 2 ½ tablespoons minced, peeled fresh ginger
- ¼ teaspoon Chinese five spice
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced
For the pot stickers:
- Bison tallow for cooking
- 1 ½ cups shredded cabbage
- 40-44 wonton wrappers, store bought
- Coconut aminos or other Asian dipping sauce for serving
Also Read: Homemade Nebraska Stuffed Meat Sandwiches With Elk
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground elk with coconut aminos, mirin, minced ginger, minced garlic, red pepper flakes and Chinese five spice powder. Mix with your hands just until combined.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. When hot, add in the elk meat mixture. Cook until the elk meat is just cooked through, breaking the meat up into crumbles as it cooks. Add the shredded cabbage to the skillet and stir to combine. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Assemble the pot stickers. Add 2 teaspoons of the elk meat and cabbage mixture to each wonton wrapper. Use your fingers to moisten the edges with water, then fold in half and seal along the edges by pinching your fingers. Make sure to press out any air inside the pot sticker. Repeat until all of the pot stickers are assembled.
- Heat bison tallow in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. When hot, arrange the pot stickers in a single layer in the skillet, working in batches to avoid overcrowding. Cook the pot stickers for a few minutes until both sides are golden brown, flipping a couple times. Add ¼ cup water to the skillet. Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes. Remove the cooked pot stickers from the heat and set aside on a platter, covered to keep warm. Repeat the process to cook the rest of the pot stickers.
- Serve and enjoy immediately with your favorite sauces for dipping.
The Beck & Bulow Team Is Here To Help
We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Also Read: Melt In Your Mouth Elk Short Ribs In the Instant Pot
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar, pork and seafood.