Moroccan Spiced Meatball Soup With Grass Fed Ground Beef
This spiced meatball soup is full of Moroccan flavor thanks to a healthy dose of harissa seasoning and a savory herb paste made from cilantro and green onions. Quinoa and bone broth make this a super satisfying and nourishing meal that is not only delicious but also really healthy. If you don’t have bison or beef tallow on hand, simply replace with your preferred cooking oil. I love using tallow to cook with due to its ability to handle high heat, excellent flavor and lots of nutrients. This soup makes for great leftovers, too, so don’t hesitate to make a double batch. Look for harissa seasoning at your local grocery store or make your own (there’s lots of great recipes for it available online and it’s not difficult).
Beef That’s Pasture Raised In Mountain Valleys
Our grass-fed & finished beef is raised essentially wild on a beautiful 20,000 acre ranch here in New Mexico. The cows roam freely as far as the eye can see with extremely minimal handling. For those familiar with New Mexico, it might sound surprising that there’s so much lush green grass for them to graze on. These fields are naturally irrigated by a sparkling river flowing with ice-melt from the Sangre de Cristo mountains. We started stocking beef due to popular demand from customers who wanted to eat this meat with the knowledge that it’s impeccably sourced.
Many people avoid eating beef because it’s often from industrial feedlots. These factory farming operations are harmful to the environment, the animals and the health of people who consume the meat. When cattle and other grazing animals are raised using sustainable agricultural practices, we can actually repair soil health and restore balance to our ecosystems. The natural rhythms of life provide the soil with everything it needs. All we have to do is stop supporting industrial feedlots and raise meat the way we’re supposed to. That’s why our mission at Beck & Bulow is to steer as many people as possible away from eating factory farmed meat.
- 1 pound grass fed & finished ground beef
- 1 ½ cups chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 large bunch green onions, trimmed and chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons harissa seasoning
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon bison tallow
- 4 parsnips, chopped
- 4 cups bison bone broth
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1.5 cups cooked quinoa
- Let the ground beef sit out at room temperature for approximately 20 minutes before preparing.
- Put one cup of the cilantro and all of the green onions in a food processor and pulse to make a chunky paste.
- Place the ground beef in a large mixing bowl. Add in the lightly beaten egg, 1 tablespoon of harissa seasoning, 1 teaspoon of cumin and season with sea salt. Add half of the cilantro and green onion paste. Mix together using your hands just until combined. Form into meatballs and set aside on a plate.
- Heat the bison tallow in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add the parsnips and cook, stirring frequently, until they begin to turn golden brown. Add in the rest of the cilantro paste along with the remaining harissa and cumin. Cook for about a minute, then stir in the bone broth along with two cups of water. Bring the pot to a simmer. After letting it cook for a couple minutes, drop the meatballs into the pot. Let them cook for about 7 minutes.
- Add the spinach to the pot and cook for approximately 4-5 minutes. Stir in hte cooked quinoa and the remaining ½ cup of chopped cilantro. Season with sea salt to taste. Serve and enjoy.
Our Friendly & Knowledgeable Team Is Here To Help
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar and seafood.