Recipe: Mini Meatloaves With Ground Bison & Wild Boar
The crispy top and edges of meatloaf are my favorite part. That’s why I love these mini meatloaves so much - each serving includes the maximum amount of crispy outer crust. They also keep really well as leftovers and are excellent reheated in the oven. I used ground bison and ground wild boar meat, my favorite combination for meatloaf. They both have delicious flavor and the wild boar has just enough fat to pair perfectly with the lean and tender bison meat. I love using a combination of ketchup and barbecue sauce on top of the meatloaf because it gives me the option of using a barbecue sauce that has a little kick to it. That sweet and spicy topping really makes meatloaf taste amazing. The mini size is fun and convenient - kids and adults alike will love these!
Bringing Back The American Bison
Our bison live free range on 10,000 beautiful acres here in New Mexico, or roam freely on our carefully selected partner ranches. They are pasture raised and never administered any amount of hormones, steroids or antibiotics. These are powerful, strong animals that live essentially wild with minimal handling. There were once 60 million bison roaming North America, and we hope to see their numbers increase back to even 1 million during our lifetime. By increasing the demand for ethically sourced bison meat, we can help to bolster their population. The more people that want to purchase this nourishing and nutrient dense meat, the more farmers will be encouraged to raise bison. This directly helps to increase the number of herds which assists in providing genetic diversity for the population.
A Delicious & Sustainable Meat Choice
Our Southwestern wild boar roam the forests, foraging their natural diet. They love to eat berries, nuts, roots and tubers which give their meat its unique and delectable flavor profile. They’re trapped under the supervision of specialized veterinarians and butchered by a small scale, species specific facility. Just like all of our products, we care about where this meat comes from. Wild boar are actually an invasive species to North America, and their population continues to grow. They ruin crops and disrupt the growth of endangered plants in forests by digging in the soil. When we eat humanely trapped wild boar meat it helps to protect our food supply and forest ecosystems.
- 1 tablespoon bison tallow
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- ⅓ cup bison bone broth
- 1 tablespoon double concentrated tomato paste
- 1 ½ pounds ground bison
- 1 pound ground wild boar
- ½ cup Japanese panko bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup barbecue sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat the bison tallow in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add in the chopped onion and thyme. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are very soft and fragrant. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Take the skillet off the heat and stir in the bison bone broth, tablespoon of tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce. Set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the ground bison, ground wild boar, Panko bread crumbs, eggs and the cooled onion mixture. Mix with your hands just until combined. Take care not to overmix.
- Make six mini loaves with the mixture. Mix the ketchup and barbecue sauce together in a small bowl.
- Spread the sauce mixture on top of each mini meatloaf. Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 45 minutes or until the meat is cooked all the way through.
- Serve and enjoy!
Don’t Hesitate To Reach Out To Our Team
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar, pork and seafood.