Homemade Salmon Burgers That’ll Knock Your Socks Off
Homemade salmon burgers were one of my favorite dinners growing up. In fact, I’m pretty sure my mom used canned salmon, and they were still delicious. They’re craveable, quick and oh so satisfying. They were one of the things I would actually beg for her to make.
When you make burger patties out of our wild caught Alaskan sockeye salmon, they’re way above and beyond these tasty dinners from my childhood memories. Salmon fillets are one of those simple meals that turn out amazing just popped in the oven with a little olive oil and lemon. But these burgers are a great way to mix it up and offer an excellent vehicle for adding more flavors to the meal.
These burgers will turn out deliciously seasoned if the recipe is followed, but there’s so much room for experimentation and adjustments according to taste or whatever you have on hand. Feel free to add a pinch of cayenne pepper for some heat or add your own personal touches - this is a recipe that turns out uniquely delicious every time I make it. While this version has a creole kick, you could easily use savory herbs, add an Asian flavor, the options are endless.
Wild Caught Fish Is Always The Best Choice
As with all fish, it’s very important to choose wild caught salmon over farmed. Farmed salmon are fed processed fish feed and exposed to large amounts of antibiotics, pesticides and other chemicals. Their nutritional value is vastly different from wild salmon. Farmed salmon contains much higher levels of fat (about three times as much) especially omega-6 fatty acids which most Americans already consume far too many of. It has 46% more calories, most of which are from fat. It’s also quite deficient in vitamins and minerals compared with wild caught salmon.
Responsibly Sourced, Sustainable Salmon
Our sockeye salmon are 100% wild and never given any additives or antibiotics. These fish are prized for their outstanding flavor, high oil content and vibrantly colored red orange flesh. They come from the pristine, cold waters of the Pacific off the coast of Alaska. This area has the greatest resources of wild salmon in the world. Our fishery is carefully managed for sustainability and returns tens of millions of salmon to these waters each year. These wild caught Alaskan sockeye salmon are outstanding in flavor, texture and health benefits. This fish is extremely versatile and easy to cook.
- 1 wild caught Alaskan sockeye salmon fillet
- ½ of a medium onion, finely diced
- 2-3 tablespoons minced celery
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon creole seasoning
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely minced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt + more to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2-3 tablespoons bison tallow, melted
- 4 brioche buns
- Desired condiments and toppings for serving
- Thaw the salmon fillet. Finely chop using a large, sharp knife. Transfer the chopped salmon into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the diced onion, minced celery and garlic, lightly beaten eggs, white pepper, creole seasoning, panko breadcrumbs, and sea salt. Combine thoroughly.
- Make 4 patties out of the mixture. Set aside. If necessary, you can refrigerate the mixture for a bit before doing this step to allow it to become firmer.
- In a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat, heat up 1-2 tablespoons of avocado oil.
- Cook the patties until they’re thoroughly browned on both sides, about 3-4 minutes on each side. Take care not to overcook and reduce the heat as necessary. Set aside the cooked patties.
- Coat the buns in the melted bison tallow and use the cast iron skillet or the broiler to toast the buns.
- Assemble the burgers by placing the patties on the buns and adding condiments and toppings as desired. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Don’t Hesitate To Reach Out To Our Team
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar and seafood.