Pistachio And Herb Crusted Pan Seared Cape Cod Scallops
Scallops are one of the easiest ways to create a dinner that feels fancy and special. Ours are delicious and impeccably flavored all by themselves, simply seasoned with some salt and pepper and pan seared in butter. But why not take a good thing and make it even better? The toasted pistachio and herb crust in this recipe gives a delightfully rich and nutty flavor, plus a little crunch to these already decadent sea scallops.
Also Read: How To Pan Sear Sea Scallops To Perfection
There’s so many ways to turn this dish into a meal and the great news is that they’re all really simple. They’re perfect served with something fresh on the side, like steamed vegetables or a simple salad. This scallop recipe is easy to make but has a lot of wow factor and is sure to impress. You could also serve these crusted scallops on top of pasta, one of my personal favorites. Go for something neutral and light as a sauce (citrus would be great here, too). Creating something delicious for dinner is effortless when you use the best quality, wild caught seafood.
Uniquely Fresh & Delicious Scallops From Cape Cod
These Cape Cod scallops have a uniquely sweet and light flavor from the extremely cold sea water they live in. They are shucked at sea immediately upon being caught and are the largest scallops you can get. They’re perfect for any dish or preparation and are a beautiful light beige in color. Scallops are sought after for their delicate taste and texture, considered by many to be one of the ultimate luxuries in seafood. They’re actually extremely easy to prepare, but impressive and special enough for your most memorable occasions.
Also Read: Grilled Scallop & Shisito Pepper Skewers With Lime & Nori
Large In Size, Versatile And Perfect For Grilling
There’s two varieties of scallops, sea scallops and bay scallops. Sea scallops are around three times larger than the bay variety. There is a system of size classification for scallops that indicates how many are needed to make a pound. Ours are U/10, indicating that ten or less are required for a one pound weight. They are incredibly versatile and easy to cook. For large scallops like these, searing or grilling is typically one of the easiest and tastiest options. They have a rich, buttery, slightly sweet and oceany flavor that is complex and elegant.
- 2 lb package of Wild Caught Cape Cod Sea Scallops
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup unsalted, shelled raw pistachios
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Toast the pistachios until they are very fragrant and toasted - the more toasted they are, the more flavorful they will be - but don’t burn them or it will ruin the flavor. Set the nuts aside and let them cool.
- Finely chop the cooled, toasted pistachios and combine them in a small bowl with the chopped chives, basil and thyme. Combine thoroughly and set aside.
- Season the sea scallops generously on all sides with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter along with the teaspoon of avocado oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches if necessary, sear the scallops for about two minutes on each side. They should be nicely crusted and golden brown. Take care not to overcook the scallops as they will become tough and they cook very quickly. As the scallops finish cooking, immediately roll them in the pistachio and herb mixture. Serve and enjoy.
Also Read: Wild Caught Cape Cod Sea Scallops: Our Latest Offering
Our Friendly & Knowledgeable Team Is Here To Serve You
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar and seafood.