Grilled Scallop & Shisito Pepper Skewers With Lime & Nori
Since scallops are one of my favorite seafoods, I was really excited to experiment with creative ways to cook them. This recipe pairs another one of my all time favorite grilling foods, shishito peppers, with these succulent and delicate shellfish. Grilling scallops really couldn’t be easier, the most important thing to keep in mind is to make sure they don’t get overcooked.
When scallops are overcooked they get tough, which is the complete opposite of their texture when prepared correctly. These scallops have a sweet, briny flavor that is highly sought after. The lime juice, red pepper flakes and crumbled nori give a vibrant twist to this dish, although you honestly can’t go wrong with no seasoning but salt and pepper.
Uniquely Fresh & Delicious Scallops From Cape Cod
These Cape Cod scallops have a uniquely sweet and light flavor from the extremely cold sea water they live in. They are shucked at sea immediately upon being caught and are the largest scallops you can get. They’re perfect for any dish or preparation and are a beautiful light beige in color.
Scallops are sought after for their delicate taste and texture, considered by many to be one of the ultimate luxuries in seafood. They’re actually extremely easy to prepare, but impressive and special enough for your most memorable occasions.
Large In Size, Versatile And Perfect For Grilling
There’s two varieties of scallops, sea scallops and bay scallops. Sea scallops are around three times larger than the bay variety. There is a system of size classification for scallops that indicates how many are needed to make a pound. Ours are U/10, indicating that ten or less are required for a one pound weight. They are incredibly versatile and easy to cook.
For large scallops like these, searing or grilling is typically one of the easiest and tastiest options. They have a rich, buttery, slightly sweet and oceany flavor that is complex and elegant.
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 2 limes
- Sea salt
- 1 sheet of nori seaweed
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 tablespoons ghee or avocado oil
- 12 sea scallops, thawed and patted dry
- 12 shishito peppers
- 3 scallions, green parts only, sliced super thin
- 1 teaspoon mild red pepper flakes
- Fire up the grill to medium high heat. In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, juice from one lime, salt to taste and one tablespoon of water. Set aside.
- Crumble the sheet of nori into very small pieces. You can use your fingers or a spice mill. Set aside half in a small dish to use for serving.
- In a large bowl, combine the other half of the crumbled nori, coriander, ginger and 2 tablespoons of melted ghee or avocado oil. Add the scallops into the seasoning and gently toss to coat on all sides.
- In a medium bowl, coat the shishito peppers in the remaining 2 tablespoons of melted ghee or avocado oil.
- Use two skewer sticks to make each skewer, if possible. This technique will make everything move around much less on the sticks, and they will be easier to flip. Skewer the scallops and peppers separately.
- Season both sides of the skewers generously with salt. Make sure the grill is clean and oil with more ghee or oil.
- Place the scallop skewers on the outside edge of the grill so that the scallops don’t overcook. Place the shishito peppers over direct heat.
- Grill the scallops, flipping to cook both sides until grill marks appear on both sides - about 3 minutes each side. Grill the peppers for about the same amount of time, until they’re blistered on both sides.
- Drizzle the reserved lime mayonnaise on plates. Serve the scallop and pepper skewers over the top. Grate lime zest over the plate, then squeeze juice from ½ the lime over the scallops. Garnish with chopped green scallions, mild red pepper flakes and the reserved crumbled nori.
We’re Thrilled To Now Offer Quality Seafood
We’re excited to offer these delicious scallops, along with salmon to satisfy the many requests we’ve received to carry seafood. As always, we’re committed to quality, ethical sourcing and the most outstanding flavor.
If you’re in the market for some meat that comes from the land, check out our selections of bison, elk, wild boar, lamb, grass fed beef and chicken. All of our products are packaged by hand in our Santa Fe warehouse and delivered straight to your door, in a reusable cooler with dry ice for optimal freshness.