Seafood Posole With Wild Blue Mexican Shrimp & Sea Scallops
Posole is a classic Mexican soup, a cultural staple here in Northern New Mexico where the Beck & Bulow team is based. Traditionally made with pork or chicken, this fresh seafood take on the classic dish is a new favorite for me. Posole is known for its hominy base with a healthy dose of chile. If you can’t find hatch green chile sauce, tomatillo salsa or salsa verde will work just fine. Adjust the amount accordingly depending on the spiciness of the chiles and your personal preferences.
Also Read: Pistachio And Herb Crusted Pan Seared Cape Cod Scallops
Uniquely Fresh & Delicious Scallops From Cape Cod
These Cape Cod scallops have a uniquely sweet and light flavor from the extremely cold sea water they live in. They are shucked at sea immediately upon being caught and are the largest scallops you can get. They’re perfect for any dish or preparation and are a beautiful light beige in color. Scallops are sought after for their delicate taste and texture, considered by many to be one of the ultimate luxuries in seafood. They’re actually extremely easy to prepare, but impressive and special enough for your most memorable occasions.
There’s two varieties of scallops, sea scallops and bay scallops. Sea scallops are around three times larger than the bay variety. There is a system of size classification for scallops that indicates how many are needed to make a pound. Ours are U/10, indicating that ten or less are required for a one pound weight. They are incredibly versatile and easy to cook. For large scallops like these, searing or grilling is typically one of the easiest and tastiest options. They have a rich, buttery, slightly sweet and oceany flavor that is complex and elegant.
Also Read: How To Pan Sear Sea Scallops To Perfection
Fair Trade Certified Wild Caught Blue Mexican Shrimp
Wild caught Mexican blue shrimp are renowned for the excellent, sweet flavor and tender yet crisp texture. They’re large in size and have a beautiful blue hue when uncooked. They are caught using the most sustainable methods in existence for harvesting shrimp. Fishermen use small-scale sailboats and an artisanal technique known as suripera. This method involves using the wind and tides to skillfully drift a highly selective net, resulting in the lowest fuel consumption and bycatch rates in the world.
Bycatch is the term for marine animals, like dolphins, turtles and others, who are harmed in the process of fishing for seafood. Additionally, these are the only Fair Trade certified shrimp on the planet. It’s never been more important than it is now to choose seafood options that are conscious of environmental impact. Our sources go above and beyond industry standards taking care every step of the way to protect the oceans, the wildlife and their employees.
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 3 cups clam juice
- 1 can white hominy (drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup tomatillo salsa or hatch green chile sauce
- 2 tablespoons sun dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- Zest of 1 ½ - 2 limes
- 1 pound Wild Blue Mexican Shrimp, peeled
- 1 pound Wild Caught Cape Cod Sea Scallops
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Also Read: Louisiana Jambalaya With Chicken & Mexican Blue Shrimp
- Heat the avocado oil in a large, deep cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion until soft and fragrant. Add the garlic to the skillet and stir, allowing it to cook for approximately 30 seconds.
- Add the clam juice, hominy, salsa or green chile, sun dried tomatoes and lime zest to the skillet. Simmer for about five minutes. Allow the mixture to cool slightly, then refrigerate until it’s cold. Cover and chill for up to four hours.
- Return the refrigerated and chilled liquid back to the stove. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the peeled shrimp and scallops to the broth, along with ¾ of the chopped cilantro. Simmer for approximately 3 minutes or just until the shrimp and scallops are cooked through. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve and enjoy immediately, garnishing each bowl with the remaining chopped cilantro.
The Beck & Bulow Team Is Here To Support You
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Also Read: Wild Blue Mexican Shrimp With Sweet Garlic & Ginger Sauce
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar and seafood.